Wednesday, April 6, 2016

American Idol, Ep. 15.23

Tonight - the last time to vote on American Idol! The last performance episode. The last elimination before the finale and the end of it all. It makes me sad just to think about it! At the end of the night, one will be eliminated, and we will find out who the Final 2 will be.

In a rare group performance, we get to see our Top 3 perform together doing "Stole the Show" by Kygo. They sounded so amazing together, and this was the perfect song! The only bad thing was that it wasn't long enough! We only got to hear a little snippet of it.



Round 1: "Winner" Song

Trent - "Falling"
The has the feeling of a Weeknd song. It is very much the anti-Idol-winning song. Usually the winning song is an upbeat anthem. This is a slow and sexy little ditty that really suits Trent's personality. He clearly connects with it and he's singing the heck out of it. Uh oh - he must really be in the zone because we're seeing the strained faces that plagued him in the early weeks of the competition. He's done so well to focus and keep his face under control, but he lost it a little in this performance. That might not be a bad thing. His vocals were great, and if he falls back into "the face" every now and then, it's not a big deal. The problem was when he could do nothing BUT that face.
My Grade: A




Dalton - "Strike a Match"
I can't wait to hear this! Another interesting song for a "winner's song", but it's a great song for him. He was a little pitchy at the beginning, but at the chorus, his voice just soared. I don't know if his whole heart was in this song, but he just makes me smile.
My Grade: B




La'Porsha - "Battles"
I'm really sad to see La'Porsha's big hair back. I can't believe she ditched the braids that took 15 hours to do. I'm guessing it could have taken 15 hours to undo that! The title of this song says everything. This is clearly her anthem this entire season. It started out way too low for her. This is maybe the closest thing to the normal "winner's song" that we're used to. It's a great song, with a great message. It clearly fits her style very well. I was maybe expecting a little more from her given the song and it's meaning to her. It was a great performance, but it didn't give me chills and it wasn't really epic.
My Grade: A-




Results


Going Home: Dalton
I'm so, so, so sad to see him go and so sad we don't get to hear his final 2 songs. I saw something special in him from his audition and I knew he was going to stick around for a very long time. I'm so proud of him. He may have had some ups and downs, but I'm a fan until the end. I had him picked as the winner, but I had no idea how strong Trent and La'Porsha would be throughout the competition. They both deserve to be in the finale - no question about it. I am so proud of how Dalton reacted to Trent being named as the 2nd finalist. The smile on his face and his hug with Trent was so genuine. He seems like such a great guy, and I'm so happy for him to have made it this far. I think he truly was just so grateful for making it as far as he did, and his surprise of making it through each week was really a surprise to him.

Round 2: Simon Fuller's Choice

Trent - "If You Don't Know Me By Now" by Simply Red
Not my favorite song in the world. It was a fine performance, and sounds just about like every other song he's done in the competition.
My Grade: B+




La'Porsha - "A House is Not a Home" by Dionne Warwick
Ugh! This is absolutely on my list of most hated songs. Clearly La'Porsha has much better taste when she's picking her own songs. The ones given to her are all terrible. Had she sung songs like this all season, I would have really disliked her and she would have joined the ranks with Fantasia, Jennifer Hudson, Melinda Doolittle, and Candice Glover as most annoying diva singers. There was nothing about this performance that I liked and it was all due to the absolutely horrendous song choice. She actually looked a little bored singing it. That's OK La'Porsha - I probably would have vomited if I had to sing it. I would have loved for her to change it up and try to improve the song.
My Grade: C+




Round 3: Contestant's Choice

Trent - "Chandelier" by Sia
This was a great performance the first time he sang it. I hope it will seal the deal for him. I don't know if it was quite as good as the first time, but it was really good. The first time it was a shock to hear the song done this way, and now that the shock has worn off, it didn't quite have the same effect. It was still great nonetheless. He got so emotional at the end as the crowd just went absolutely nuts for him! Hopefully, that will result in a ton of votes for him.
My Grade: A-




La'Porsha - "Diamonds" by Rihanna
I was kind of hoping this would be the song she would pick. It was one of my favorite performances of hers. Again, it just shows her good song choices and good taste. This is such a great song for her to end with. She is at a very big advantage by getting to sing last. The crowd went nuts for her and started chanting her name.
My Grade: A



So who's it going to be? I have never agonized more at trying to figure this season out! It really could go either way and I definitely think it will be close. The fact that they are both from the south doesn't help give either one of them the edge. We've had a lot of singers from the south win, and we will have another one.

Here's my analysis, and reasons each could win:

La'PorshaTrent
  • Pure, amazing vocals
  • Sad story, story of battles and triumphs - being a role model
  • She got to sing last and had a very memorable performance
  • She could really use the winning prize to help give her daughter a better life
  • The judges have been calling her the winner since very early on
  • She might seem like a more fitting "bookend" to end Idol
  • Classic winner mold of so many previous winners - "white guy with a guitar"
  • Will most likely earn the votes of Dalton and MacKenzie's voters
  • A girl has not beaten a guy since Jordin Sparks beat Blake Lewis - in Season 6!
  • He's been ahead of La'Porsha in some of the polls all season
  • He's genuine good guy and is very sincere and likable
  • My gut - I've been getting some major "winner" vibes from him the past few weeks

Whoever wins, they deserve it. I can't wait for tomorrow's finale! I have been seeing so many photos and behind-the-scenes videos of all the past contestants who are showing up for finale performances. It is going to be so amazing! I'm probably going to cry through the whole thing because I have so many wonderful memories of all the past seasons and I really don't want it to end!

You know what else this means? I know for 100% fact that the winner of American Idol will be.....from Mississippi! Yep, both Trent and La'Porsha are from Mississippi. In 14 previous seasons, there have been no winners from that state. It's not surprising that the winner will again be from the south, as so many previous winners have been.


Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites
And follow this blog with Bloglovin


No comments: