Monday, April 11, 2016

The Voice, Ep. 10.12

The Live Playoffs begin!

Tonight is the first of the live shows. There will be 3 episodes this week. 2 coaches' teams perform tonight, the other 2 groups sing tomorrow night, and then on Thursday we will find out the results. We will be left with 3 singers on each team.


Team Blake

Paxton Ingram - "How Deep is Your Love" by Calvin Harris & Disciples
Well, he's really into the song, but it's kind of all over the place. I'm not a fan of the song. I've heard him be better. At one point it didn't sound like hi mic was on. He actually sounded really off, the further he got into the song. I started out with his grade being a B-, but it got worse. I didn't care for this at all.That's a shame, because I did kind of like him early on.
My Grade: C-

Katie Basden - "Georgia Rain" by Trisha Yearwood
She started out pretty, but on her way down to some lower notes, she fell really flat. I didn't really love this. It was kind of boring. She sang it pretty well, but there were quite a few pitch problems.
My Grade: B-

Joe Maye - "Long Train Runnin'" by The Doobie Brothers
The way he sang this song, it sounded very different that the original that we're used to. I really liked it. He sang this really well. He had great stage presence and a lot of energy as he jumped and moved around the stage. It was a very good performance, and it just kept building and building.
My Grade: A

Adam Wakefield - "Seven Spanish Angels" by Willie Nelson & Ray Charles
He really does have a good voice. I just wish he would do some better songs. It was a good song for his voice, though. Not a whole lot wrong with this performance. He sang it very well. He used just enough grit every now and then to give it some character. It's nice that he doesn't overdo it.
My Grade: A-

Mary Sarah - "Rose Garden" by Lynn Anderson
I don't know what it was about this, but I didn't really care for it. I've heard her sound a lot better. I didn't love the song choice. It was an OK performance, but nothing special.
My Grade: B

COMEBACK ARTIST: Justin Whisnant - "Here's a Quarter (Call Someone Who Cares)" by Travis Tritt
Thank you, Blake! I was devastated when Blake let this guy get away! He was the best guy on Blake's team! I am so glad he's back! He might be country, but I absolutely love his voice. This was another great performance. I didn't care for the song, but his voice sounded great. I loved when he really let loose.
My Grade: A-

Team Christina

Ryan Quinn - "I'm Not the Only One" by Sam Smith
I love him and I'm so glad that Christina saved. Wow, he looks even cuter without his glasses! His voice sounds great on this song. I love how connected he seems to the song. Everything about this was great. Flawless. Gorgeous. If he doesn't stay, I will be devastated. He's one of the ONLY good ones left this season.
My Grade: A+

Kata Hay - "(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman" by Aretha Franklin
Yuck, yuck, yuck. I don't like this song, and Kata annoys me. So, this was pretty much just the perfect storm of yuck. I will say that it's nice to hear her do something different than what we've seen from her so far. I did not care for all of the extra deep growls. If she could just tone it back a few notches, it would be a lot easier to tolerate. I will say that vocally, it was probably one of her best, but man, I had a headache by the time she was done.
My Grade: B

Tamar Davis - "Rise Up" by Andra Day
This song is showing up everywhere. Sonika and Avalon sang it on American Idol, Andra sang it live last week on Dancing with the Songs, and now it's here. This was a good song choice for her. She was really able to soar on those high notes. I wish she would reign in her vibrato at times. Sometimes she sounds like she's sitting on a jackhammer. It's a little annoying. Her one big high note was not on pitch.
My Grade: B+

Bryan Bautista - "Pillow Talk" by Zayn
He's another one of my favorite singers this season. His voice is just amazing, and so beautiful. He knows how to pick really good songs for his voice, as well. He has a great presence on stage and he really connected with the audience. I love when he shoots up to his falsetto. I love that he doesn't spend the whole song up there, but every once in a while, he surprises you and goes way up high - higher than you think he can go. This was another terrific performance. Another great artist on Christina's team.
My Grade: A+

Alisan Porter - "Cry Baby" by Janis Joplin
They are really pushing her as the winner, aren't they? She seems to always sing near the end of the show, and here she is closing the show again. That voice really is incredible, isn't it?! I hated the song choice, but she brought the house down with it, as usual. I didn't like the way her voice sounded kind of whiny and childlike in certain parts.
My Grade: A

COMEBACK ARTIST: Nick Hagelin - "Stay" by Rihanna
Christina is really making things interesting this season. She brought back a good one...who wasn't even on her team at any point. He definitely deserved another chance. I was sad to see him go. He picked a great song. When he was eliminated, the song he chose had way too much falsetto. He does so much better when he just floats up there occasionally. This song was perfect for that. He sounded amazing! There were a lot of really nice moments. His long drawn out "stay"s were so strong.
My Grade: A



Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites
And follow this blog with Bloglovin


No comments: