Thursday, April 7, 2016

American Idol, Ep. 15.24: The Final Finale

Tonight, Kieran will "dim the lights" for one final time. It's kind of cool that the final 2 are both from Mississippi - how odd is that? They have really bonded through this competition and they seem to be really good friends, and I think each of them would be so happy if the other one won. That's so great to see.

If you think you have it figured out who is going to be the 15th and final American Idol, think again. This is just how close it's going to be:











We have 2 hours of great performances by TONS of former Idols. I am going to probably cry through this whole thing! It's been so fun to see behind-the-scenes videos and photos posted from the Idols that I follow on Facebook.

FINALE PERFORMANCES

Here we go! And we start it off by slowly filling the stage with former Idols all in white, singing "One Voice". Incredible!



First Finalist Duet redux - Kelly and Justin sang it on Season 1, and now La'Porsha and Trent are performing "It Takes Two"...but a much different and more upbeat version. They actually made the song fresh, new and funky!



POP MEDLEY

Kara DioGuardi (judge), and Jordin Sparks (Season 6 winner) and Tamyra Gray (Season 1) - beautifully singing Pink's "Sober"

Colton Dixon (Season 11) - doing what he does best at the piano singing his own song "Through All of It"

Justin Guarini (Season 1 runner -up) w/ Jordin Sparks (Season 6 winner) singing her song "No Air"

Kimberley Locke (Season 2), Jordin Sparks (Season 6 winner) and Allison Iraheta (Season 8) singing Kimberly's song "Eighth World Wonder"

Tamyra Gray (Season 1) sang "Girl Crush" w/ Jordin Sparks (Season 6), Allison Iraheta (Season 8), and Justin Guarini (Season 1)

Allison Iraheta rocked out to Meghan Trainor's "No" with Tamyra Gray (Season 1), Pia Toscano (Season 10), and Kimberley Locke (Season 2) and then...Larry Platt (Season 9 "fake" auditioner) and his original song "Pants on the Ground"!

Pia Toscano (Season 10) sang Celine Dion's "All By Myself" - wow! I always thought she should have made it further. That was amazing!



Kelly Clarkson (Season 1 winner) couldn't be here because she is close to having her baby, so she taped a performance of her first big hit "Miss Independent" and a compilation that included just about every other song she's released, including: "Breakaway", "Since U Been Gone", "Because of You", "Behind These Hazel Eyes", "Walk Away", "My Life Would Suck Without You", "Don't You Want to Stay", "Stronger" (What Doesn't Kill You)", "Heartbeat Song", "Invincible", "Piece by Piece", "Moment Like This" (her coronation song), which she sang in a capella - so incredible.



ROCK MEDLEY

Idol Rockers! James Durbin (Season 10), Constantine Maroulis (Season 4), Caleb Johnson (Season 13 winner), Bo Bice (Season 4 runner-up) singing "Vehicle", "Hard to Handle". Hey...Bo has NO HAIR!!! Holy cow does he look different! James had posted some behind-the-scenes videos and I saw him, and I was like "Who is that guy? Why don't I know who he is?" Well now I see why.

James Durbin (Season 10), Constantine Maroulis (Season 4), Caleb Johnson (Season 13 winner), Bo Bice (Season 4 runner-up) with Chris Daughtry (Season 4) singing Daughtry's "Torches" and "Tobacco Road"



Keith Urban (judge) performed "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around" with Carrie Underwood (Season 4 winner). She looks amazing!



COUNTRY MEDLEY

Country Singers(?) - Some of these are very questionable and as seen on their seasons, their talent was questionable - man was it pitchy! Diana DeGarmo - totally NOT a country singer (Season 3 runner-up), Skylar Laine (Season 11), Kree Harrison (Season 12 runner-up) singing Taylor Swift's "You Belong with Me"

Next, Casey James (Season 9), Bucky Covington (Season 5), Ace Young -also Diana DeGarmo's husband, and also NOT a country singer (Season 5), Constantine Maroulis (Season 4) - also not a country singer,  singing "Storm Warning" by Hunter Hayes

And then, w/ Lauren Alaina (Season 10), Kellie Pickler (Season 5) singing "Done" by the Band Perry

And then, they added Scotty McCreery (Season 10 winner) who sang "Papa Loved Mama"

The whole big country group then finished with "Pavement Ends" by Little Big Town

Harry Connick, Jr. (judge) performed "What a Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong with a young girl from his home music center. I'm sorry, but I hate this song, and this was just painful. I couldn't wait for it to be over.



ACOUSTIC MEDLEY

Katharine McPhee (Season 5 runner-up) and Casey James (Season 9) sang Lady Antebellum's "I Need You Now"

Carly Smithson (Season 7) accompanied by a harp, sang "Here You Come Again" by Dolly Parton

Clay Aiken (Season 2 runner-up) sang "Annie's Song" by John Denver (I was shocked to see him, since early in the season he had some very not nice things to say about this season).

Ruben Studdard (Season 2 winner) and Amber Holcomb (Season 12) sang "Here, There, and Everywhere" by The Beatles

Jessica Sanchez (Season 11 runner-up) sang "The Prayer" by Celine Dion and Josh Groban. Beautiful!!! One of the big showstoppers of the night so far!



We're 1 hour in, and I didn't realize this was going to be so fast-paced! It is incredibly difficult to keep up with who is singing what, with whom! I don't know how I've stayed with it up to this point. Plus, I've made sure to add in what season everyone is from. Most I know by heart (scary, I know)...but the ones I don't, I have to switch over and do a quick Wikipedia search because I don't have time to rewind and look at the screen:) I don't want to get behind...I must stay live!

Jennifer Lopez (judge) performs her new song "Ain't Your Mama" and then one of her biggest anthems "Let's Get Loud". What a fun performance! Straight out of Vegas with all the big feathers, shiny sequins, and wind machines! Not gonna lie, I was totally singing along. She brought the house down!



Fantasia Barrino, Jennifer Hudson, and LaToya London the 3 famous divas of Season 3 performed "Bridge Over Troubled Water" by Simon and Garfunkel, and then Jennifer sang her song "Remember the Music"



SOUL MEDLEY

Brandon Rogers (Season 6), Clark Beckham (Season 14), George Huff (Season 3), Danny Gokey (Season 8), Elliott Yamin (Season 5) sang "Ain't Too Proud to Beg" by The Temptations, full on with the dance moves and everything.

Fantasia Barrino (Season 3 winner) sang her song "Ugly"

Taylor Hicks (Season 5 winner) and LaToya London (Season 3) sang "I Knew You Were Waiting" by Aretha Franklin

Joshua Ledet (Season 11) of course did "This is a Man's, Man's, Man's World" which is what he was known for on his season. I thought he was going to have a hemorrhage.

Candice Glover (Season 12 winner), Melinda Doolittle (Season 6) sang a very hyper version of "Joy to the World" with just about all the Idols singing back-up, including the current contestants.



5 winners singing a tribute to David Bowie: David Cook (Season 7 winner), Kris Allen (Season 8 winner), Lee DeWyze (Season 9 winner), Phillip Phillips (Season 11 winner), and Nick Fradiani (Season 14 winner). OK, some of my all-time favorites in this bunch - great performance!!!! Sorry, I don't know David Bowie's songs well enough to list all the ones they did, and I don't have time to look up all the lyrics to try to figure them out.



Trip down memory lane, with a video montage of some of the funnier moments on the show set to Daniel Powter's "Bad Day"...this is the stuff that really makes me teary eyed.

Paula Abdul and Randy Jackson came on stage and presented Ryan Seacrest with a huge "American Idol" sign since he is the only one who lasted all 15 seasons. Just when you thought Simon Cowell was going to be absent, he snuck up behind them. I think Paula was genuinely shocked to see him. It was great to see all 3 of them back again. It felt like old times. They thanked the fans for everything they've done over the years. Simon asked Paula and Randy to apologize for being so mean to the contestants over the years. Ha!

Oh, look! It's William Hung (Season 3 auditioner)! I think he must have had lessons, because he seems to really have improved!



Time for the Final Results!

And the final American Idol winner is......TRENT HARMON!!!!!!!!  Awe, Trent! He's so emotional and it's just so awesome to see.



I just made the comeback of the century in my bracket thanks to Trent! I was down and out ALL SEASON - so uncharacteristic for me to not even be in the running. But then...before last night's show, I knew Dalton was not going to win, so I switched my winning vote to Trent. The only chance for me to win was for Linda, in second place, to pick La'Porsha (which I knew she was going to do), and go with my gut and take a chance on Trent and for him to win. Had I picked the same as Linda and we were either right or wrong, I would still lose. But, since we picked differently, I had a chance. I can't believe it actually worked! Had Dalton won, I could have gotten 10 bonus points, but because I switched, I only got 5...but paired with the loser pick, I got 10 total points which put me from 33 to 43, which beat Linda's 38. Becky also had a great showing, coming in at 35.

Now that it's all over, be sure to check out my "Ode to American Idol" post, where I take a look at the past 15 seasons and break down some interesting trends among the winners, and tell you my favorites. Check it out here!


Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites
And follow this blog with Bloglovin


No comments: