Wednesday, February 3, 2016

American Idol, Ep. 15.9

Hollywood Week - Round 3: Solo Round
This is the part where they get no feedback and after everyone has performed, they are split into 3 rooms. 75 singers will be cut to 51.

They have 1 night to pick and learn their song. Only 3 people can sing the same song. I think that's a first for that rule.

One note before the recap. I'm going to be trying something new this season, starting now (hopefully). After episodes air, I will come back and update the recap with the embedded videos of the performances. I have a lot of friends who find it hard to watch the episodes, so I want to make it easy for them to find all of the performances all in one place. So, we'll see how this goes. Check back tomorrow (or Friday), and we'll see how this works!

Update: I've added a few videos for the performances from last night, however, there aren't very many available, unfortunately. I'm sure when we get to the next round of performances more (hopefully all) will be available. 

OK, on to the recap:


Stephany Negrete
"Set Fire to the Rain" by Adele
Adele is a tall order, and I don't know that she lived up to that standard. It was a good attempt, but I didn't really love her on this song. I'm not sure what I didn't love. I think her vocals were fine, but it just didn't seem to be the right song for some reason...although it should have been.




Thomas Stringfellow
"Thousand Years" by Christina Perri
We didn't get to hear a lot of it, but he had some vocal problems. I'm not sure this was the rigth song for him.

Avalon Young
"One Last Time" by Ariana Grande
I don't know what it is about her, but I still really like her. This might not have been the best one we've heard from her, but she is so unique and different. It's kind of refreshing that she doesn't fit the normal mold.

Olivia Rox
Original Song
Gutsy move to sing an original song in this stage of the competition. It's either really smart, or really dumb. I think this one worked for her. The song was catchy and she sounded great. I can't believe she is only 16.

John Wayne Shultz
"John 3:16" by Keith Urban
I don't even recognize him without his cowboy hat! He's like a completely different person! His voice sounded great. This was a good song choice for him. I really liked it...for country. Funny...are we noticing a pattern with him? I'm pretty sure it was him at the beginning of the season that they showed driving to the audition and he had to turn about because he forgot his guitar. His guitar! And now, he's lost his signature cowboy hat...that he wears all the time!



Mackenzie Bourg
Original Song - "Roses"
Swoon! I'm in love with it only after a few words! This was such a good performance! Woohoo! What an amazing job. Keith said it was a "lost Ed Sheeran track"...wow, what a compliment. I'm so glad we got to hear his whole performance...I was starting to get a little worried that he wasn't going to make it much further because he has been pretty non-existant on the show since his audition. Glad to see he got some love and feedback on his performance, even though the judges aren't really supposed to give any feedback.



Shelbie Z
"Alone" by Heart
Wow, that was a really strong performance. So she can do something other than country...uh oh...look out. Those high notes were incredible.

Kory Wheeler
"Fix You" by Coldplay
Great song choice. It was a pretty good performance, but I would have liked to hear the whole thing.

James VIII
"Wicked Game" by Chris Isaac
Is anyone else shocked that James is still here? Remember his audition? His friend was auditioning and she basically forced him to audition also. He self-admittedly is more of a guitar player than a singer. His audition was OK, and unique, but you could tell he maybe didn't spend a whole lot of time on it, and it was kind of all over the place. Well, we didn't see him in the group round at all (that I remember). So, then he comes out with this song, and it sounds really polished. I really like the sound of his voice! Wow, I'm really impressed right now! He hit some really nice high notes, and showed a lot of range. OK, I'm a fan now! I was ready to count him out as not ready for this, but holy shmoly that was GOOD!!!

Tristan McIntosh
"What Hurts the Most" by Rascal Flatts
She almost didn't get to sing this song because she didn't realize 3 people had already picked it. The song meant a lot to her and someone was nice enough to let her have it. I have to say, that's probably the best version of that song I've heard. I like it better than the original. It was beautiful! She showed a lot of emotional and you could tell the words meant a lot to her. And can we talk about how pretty she looks? I didn't recognize her with the straight hair! We are so used to seeing her with the extremely frizzy/curly hair, and tonight it is completely straight! Very pretty look for her.



Sonika Vaid
"One Last Time" by Ariana Grande
I don't know how she does it. Her voice is so silky smooth and completely effortless sounding. Her tone is just so beautiful. I liked her more slowed down version of the song. It really showed off her vocals. Great performance.

Lee Jean
"Stitches" by Shawn Mendes
Lee is back! He was kind of slipping after his audition. This was so amazing!!!! Wow! His guitar playing is really good and he had really good stage presence. I really enjoyed that!

Sara Sturm
"Somewhere Only We Know"
Great song choice! Don't hear too many people singing this song! I love Keane. She did a really good job with it. Beautiful! I just wish it was longer. It might not have been perfect, but I still liked it.

Jenn Blosil
"True Colors" by Cyndi Lauper
This was a good song choice for her. It was sounding really good, but at the end, she was too scratchy again. If she could just learn to tone that down and just use it slightly, it would be a great little unique quirk. But she forces it so much that it starts to sound like nails on a chalkboard.

Emily Brooke
"What Hurts the Most" by Rascal Flatts
Ths was not my favorite performance of hers. I don't think it was quite the right song choice for her. It was good, but she's done better. I thought I heard some off notes when she went really low. The judges seemed to like it, though. She admitted after the song that it was in the wrong key for her.

Malie Delgado
"Stitches" by Shawn Mendes
Poor girl gave up her song for Tristan. Then she comes down with laryngitis. Her voice is going in and out, but somehow it still sounds OK,..on the parts where sound actually was coming out. You could tell that she really does have a good voice, even through all of the breaks.

Mionne Destiny
"Chains" by Nick Jonas
She was also very sick and having trouble with her voice making any sounds. She gave it a good try, but it didn't turn out as good as Malie.

Jessica Cabral
"Up to the Mountain" by Patty Griffin
I absolutely adore Jessica. Her voice, I think, is my favorite for the girls, still. This girl can just sing. I didn't love the song, but she performed it so well. It was beautiful.

Joshua Wicker
"Thousand Years" by Christina Perri
We haven't seen Joshua since his audition. I really liked his audition. As soon as he sang a few words, and I figured out what song it was, I knew this was all wrong. This is so unfortunate! I really liked him, but this is just not good. His notes are all over the place. I think he can tell that he is really off. I was hoping the spoilers were wrong and he was a part of the Top 24, but after this performance, I can see why he didn't make it. Such a shame. It sounded like he might have also been sick.

CJ Johnson
"Go Your Own Way" by Fleetwood Mac
We haven't seen too much of CJ, but I think I liked him in his group performance. This was a good performance. He really performed it well.

Jeneve Rose Mitchell
"Danny's Song" by Kenny Loggins
I just can't with this girl. Just make it stop. She's had her fun, but this competition is just not for her. She is just not ready for everything this competition brings. I don't know how anyone with ears can think that she sounds good! I will admit that she really surprised me in the group round and she blended really beautifully with her group. Maybe that's where she belongs...in a group. I just can't stand her voice when she is all alone. At least she didn't have her cello or bass or whatever that instrument is, this time, because her picking away at that thing and her screechy voice was worse than nails on a chalkboard. I really wish they would just end this and send her home. Sorry. At least J. Lo is feeling what I'm saying...come on Harry.

Dalton Rapattoni
"Hopelessly Devoted" from Grease
This guy just blows me away with his song choices. Talk about someone who is ready to be a star. He ROCKED that song and the stage. He was coming down the steps, he was so into it. That just blew my mind! His voice...I am so in love!!!  He is so hard on himself! I can't believe he didn't know if he did good or not.



Results!
I thought we would have to wait until tomorrow for the room reveals, but here they are.

Room 1 - Moving on!
I see: Dalton, Mackenzie, Jordan Sasser, Jessica, James VIII, Shelbie Z, LaPorsha, Terrian, Tristan, Lee Jean

Room 2: Going home
I see: Joshua, Tank, John Wayne (must have been the lucky hat)

Room 3:Moving on!
I see: Trent, Avalon, Jenn, Manny, Michelle, Adam, Olivia, Thomas, Andrew, Sara, Malie

For the full list of singers moving on to the Top 51 - click here!



Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites
And follow this blog with Bloglovin


No comments: