Wednesday, February 10, 2016

American Idol, Ep. 15.11: Top 24, Group 1

So here's what the upcoming schedule looks like.

The Top 24 have been broken up into 2 random groups. The first group of 12 will be performing tonight, and the second group of 12 will perform next week.

These will be taped performances (for which there are already spoilers on the eliminations). They will be performing a solo song, and then, get this...they will each pair up with an Idol alum! How cool!


Alumni (2 Pairings Each):
Group 1:
  • Caleb Johnson (Season 13 - Winner)
  • Fantasia Barrino (Season 3 - Winner)
  • Lauren Alaina (Season 10 - Runner-Up)
  • Nick Fradiani (Season 14 - Winner)
  • Ruben Studdard (Season 2 - Winner)
  • Scotty McCreery (Season 10 - Winner)
Group 2:
  • Chris Daughtry (Season 5 - 4th Place)
  • Constantine Maroulis (Season 4 - 6th Place)
  • David Cook (Season 7 - Winner)
  • Haley Reinhart (Season 10 - 3rd Place)
  • Jordin Sparks (Season 6 - Winner)
  • Kellie Pickler (Season 5 - 6th Place)
From each group of 12, the JUDGES will be choosing 7 singers to move on, and 5 will be eliminated. That will give us the Top 14. Notice I said "judges"? That's right. Normally at this stage, the public gets to vote for singers to move on. However, this year, that decision is in the hands of the judges.

After the Top 14 are chosen, a mixture of judges' and viewers' votes (not sure exactly how yet), will determine our Top 10 to move on to the live shows.

So, like I said, tonight the first group of 12 will be performing their solo songs. Tomorrow night, we will see them perform a duet with an Idol alum, and then the judges will reveal their decisions of who stays and who goes.

Let's get to it!

Group 1


Stephany Negrete - "Mama Knows Best" by Jessie J
This is a pretty predictable song choice for Stephany. We know she has an amazing voice, but why did she have to sing so incredibly loud for the entire song. I didn't care for her really deep, low notes. She actually sounded a bit different than what we've heard from her. She definitely knows how to perform, and she seems very comfortable. I think it was good, but I don't think it was her best performance.
My Grade: B



Mackenzie Bourg - "Say Something" by A Great Big World
OK, like this is the PERFECT song for him! "Great" song choice :) In what we've come to know as "true Mackenzie Bourg fashion", he tweaked the song just enough to make it sound familiar, but different all at the same time. He changed some of the notes so beautifully. Holy crap, that was amazing! ...and it's nice to know I'm on the same wavelength as the judges, as Harry literally says the exact same thing I did about changing the song but still keeping the integrity. Keith also mentioned what a great song choice it was for him. Mackenzie is smart, he's a great musician, he's got a great voice, he's unique...so many great qualities. The Voice might not have turned out the way he wanted, but I see great things happening for Mackenzie this season on American Idol. Not only does he have all of the great qualities that I mentioned, but he's also got "the look" and "the style" of the WGWG (White Guy With Guitar) formula that has worked so well the past 5 or so years. Good luck Mackenzie! I'm rooting for you!
My Grade: A



Jeneve Mitchell - "Angel" by Sarah McLachlan
Whoa, her cowboy hat isn't actually glued to her head - it does come off! She decided to go with the harp tonight, and I must say that it's a welcome change from the cello. So, besides losing the hat that we've never seen her take off, and playing a new instrument, she's also NOT doing a country song. Yet another deviation from the norm...she actually sounds good! Did I just say that?! Wow, she is actually singing and it sounds good...I can't believe it! We saw glimpses of it in the group round, when she harmonized beautiful with her groupmates, but her solo performances have caused my ears to hurt. This, on the other hand, is actually quite beautiful. She has way more of a range than I gave her credit for. By FAR, her best performance. Now, I won't say that I now think she deserves a spot in the Top 10, but she has come a long way to prove that she might actually belong in the Top 24. I am actually blown away and really surprised. I did not expect that.
My Grade: A-



Jenna Renae - "My Church" by Maren Morris
I still don't know her. I don't know the song...but Keith certainly does. I think she's doing a pretty good job, but seeing as we have seen so little of her up to this point...well, I'll just leave it at that. There was a lot of screaming and it seemed pretty forced more than actual singing going on. Whoa,..me and Harry on the wavelength here, because he said it sounded more shouted than sung. Yep...totally agree.
My Grade: B-



James Dawson VIII - "Love Lockdown" by Kanye West
Yes! Another new and inventive version of this song! We were first introduced to a cool new version back in Season 8 with Kris Allen. I totally love what he did with this! It was so cool! His voice sounded great, and his performance was really good. He still does a few too many over-dramatic things with his face and with his voice, but I kind of love that about him. It makes him memorable and he keeps you on your toes because you never know what to expect with him. For the first time, I really disagree with the judges. They called what he did "easy"?! Not compelling?! Are you kidding me?!
My Score: A-



Sonika Vaid - "Safe & Sound" by Taylor Swift and The Civil Wars
I love her dress! That voice...it's just so angelic. Her high notes were so effortless. They always say the great singers make everything sound easy. That just sounded so easy for her. That was so beautiful! I think I detected some nerves just a little bit, but overall, it was great.
My Score: A-



Gianna Isabella - "I Put a Spell on You" by Annie Lennox
I was pretty captivated by this performance. I didn't type anything for quite awhile, I was just kind of mesmerized in a trance. I think she DID put a spell on me for a minute! She did some really, really great things with this performance. This was her best performance by far. Holy crap, this girl can sing! She's shown some immaturity in some of her previous performances, but this performance brought out a new maturity. Like Keith said...there's a lot more to come.
My Grade: A



Emily Brooke - "I Am Invincible" by Cassadee Pope
Yeah, someone doing a Cassadee song is awesome! The only problem is that this started out way too low for her. She really struggled with the low notes...like really struggled. She must have been nervous because when the notes finally got to a comfortable level, she was so shaky. I love this song, but it was way too difficult for her. Wow. They have promoted her as the "comeback kid" all season because she wasn't ready this season and how much she's grown this season. They promoted it as if she really goes on to do big things this season. I think the pressure really must have gotten to her because she was so off. From the barely audible low notes to the nervous wobbling notes all throughout the song...this just was not her night. That's kind of a shame, and I didn't expect that from her at all. I know the song has some high notes at the end, but they should have raised the key and maybe changed up the end so she could also hit the notes. I don't know why they didn't help her with that because clearly this just didn't work. I think the judges were pretty surprised that she performed so poorly as well because they talked about the talent they know she has, and has shown us so far this season.
My Grade: D



Avalon Young - "Love Yourself" by Justin Bieber
This is one of my newest favorite songs. I can't believe this song got cleared because it is so new. Like I've said before, there is just something I really like about her. I'm not sure what it is. This wasn't her best performance, though. She had some off notes there were a little bit strained. She knows how to work the crowd which is a little unexpected just looking at the way she looks and how she dresses.
My Grade: B



Jordan Sasser - "All by Myself" by Celine Dion
Whoa...he cut his hair! He looks so much better! He always pulled it back anyways, so why not?! I have to admit the last performance when he had his hair down, it was a bit scary and he kind of looked like a girl. This performance had some nice moments, but he struggled more than I thought he would. He loves his Celine, but this song just was a little too big for him. He had the emotion and did well on the long held-out notes - especially that last one. But in between, there was some straining and it was a little bit off. I agree with Harry that it was a bit "show-boaty" and too theatrical.
My Grade: B-



Thomas Stringfellow - "Creep" by Radiohead
Please tell me that he's lost his case of the hiccups that has plagued him throughout the season. I would really like to hear him sing a song without those hiccups at the end of every line. Please! I love this song, and I always enjoy it. He started out really well, and then the hiccups returned for a few lines. But it wasn't on every line for a change! Maybe he's read what people are commenting. This was a very interesting performance, but I really liked it. If he keeps going in this direction, he's going to be really strong in this competition. Oh, and guess what I just realized...he looks EXACTLY like Justin Timberlake did when he was in the Mickey Mouse Club! I knew he reminded me of someone!
My Grade: B+



La'Porsha Renae - "Proud Mary" by Tina Turner
Oh man, they're already giving her the "pimp" spot at the end of the show. Be prepared folks, she's going to live in those last couple spots all season, I'm afraid. They really, REALLY want her to win. And this song? Come on La'Porsha. Don't be that singer. I hate this song and I hate that so many people have sung this before. Come on, show us something more original. Yes, she sang and danced the heck out of the song for a very entertaining performance...but I want so much more than a loud performance of an over-done song. It's going to be a long season if we're going to get this kind of stuff from her over and over again.
My Grade: B



So there's our first 12. Up tomorrow will be their duets. Here are the spoiled pairings:

  • Avalon Young & Ruben Studdard
  • Emily Brooke & Lauren Alaina
  • Gianna Isabella & Nick Fradiani
  • James Dawson VIII & Caleb Johnson
  • Jeneve Mitchell & Scotty McCreery
  • Jenna Renae & Scotty McCreery
  • Jordan Sasser & Fantasia Barrino
  • La'Porsha Renae & Fantasia Barrino
  • MacKenzie Bourg & Lauren Alaina
  • Sonika Vaid & Caleb Johnson
  • Stephany Negrete & Ruben Studdard
  • Thomas Stringfellow & Nick Fradiani



Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites
And follow this blog with Bloglovin


No comments: