Thursday, February 11, 2016

American Idol, Ep. 15.12: Top 24, Group 1 Results

I'm so excited to see the duets with the Idol alums! I think this is a great idea, and I really wish they would have thought about it sooner!

I've decided I'm not going to grade tonight's performances just because they are probably all going to be really good. Having the alums sing with them is only going to increase their performance, so it's a little hard to grade.

They will be singing songs that were sung by the alums when they were on the show or one of their own released songs. I'm feeling a little ambitious, so included in tonight's recap, will be a link to the Idol alum's original performances of their songs (click on the song titles). So, if you're new to Idol and didn't watch when these Idols were contestants, you can give them a listen. If you're a regular watcher, you might find it fun to go back and reminisce.

I will also add videos of tonight's performances if I'm able to find them online. As of right now, nothing has been posted.

Tonight's Alums:
  • Caleb Johnson (Season 13 - Winner)
  • Fantasia Barrino (Season 3 - Winner)
  • Lauren Alaina (Season 10 - Runner-Up)
  • Nick Fradiani (Season 14 - Winner)
  • Ruben Studdard (Season 2 - Winner)
  • Scotty McCreery (Season 10 - Winner)



Emily Brooke & Lauren Alaina - "Flat on the Floor" by Carrie Underwood (also an Idol alum!)
This is a great country song for both of them. I can't believe how much Lauren has grown and matured since we saw her last. Her voice has really matured as well. They sound great together! Emily was able to rebound after last night's horrible performance. Lauren's a great role model for Emily and I think she really helped her with her stage presence.



Thomas Stringfellow & Nick Fradiani - "Man in the Mirror" by Michael Jackson
I loved Nick's advice about singing in the mirror because you might not realize some of the things you do. Thomas can really benefit from that because he can make some weird faces. I'm not sure this is going to be the best song for Thomas - other than the fact that he does the same kind of hiccup thing that Michael Jackson would do. They look like complete opposites on stage. This is the first time we're singing Thomas without a guitar. I'm not sure he knows what to do with himself. I don't think his voice sounds that great. Nick sounds amazing. The second half of the song was much better than the first half. They harmonized really well at the end. All-in-all it was actually a nice performance...good, but not the best we'll hear tonight by any means. I agree with the judges that this sounded more like a Nick song than a Thomas song with that version.



Stephany Negrete & Ruben Studdard - "Superstar" by The Carpenters
I knew this would be the song they would sing! Oh, how I hate this song! Could this be any more boring and not something she would normally sing. I did not love how their voices sounded together. I thought this was an odd pairing, and it ended up being about what I expected. They hit most of the notes, but their voices just don't blend well. It was like they were fighting each other. I can't believe that Keith basically said the opposite of what I said. He thought their voices sounded good together. I don't know what he was hearing. 



Sonika Vaid & Caleb Johnson - "Skyfall" by Adele
This is another interesting pairing. They are so different! I can't wait to hear this because I still remember when Caleb blew us away with this performance. Caleb really helped her get a little haunting with her first opening line. Beautiful voice...just beautiful. Caleb still sounds so amazing. People please support him and buy his album...it's really great. He deserves to be recognized. They actually sounded really good together at the end. She really needed to step up her presence vocally to match his because he is literally a beast up there! She held her own and it was a great performance. She did as much as she could with that. It could have been better, but she really improved herself to do as well as she did. Weeks ago, he probably could have blown her down with his voice and she wouldn't have stood a chance.



Jenna Renae & Scotty McCreery - "See You Tonight" by Scotty McCreery
And here we have the most boring pairing. Could these 2 be more bland? How could I forget how much his voice annoyed me? I guess I blocked it out of my mind. As always, it's vocally good, but just not my cup o' tea. She did some weird little laughs in her solo part...not sure what that was. It was a decent performance, but I guarantee I won't remember it an hour from now. I think the judges comments were interesting...not positive, not negative...they couldn't really judge it.



La'Porsha Renae & Fantasia Barrino - "Summertime" by Ella Fitzgerald
Oh heaven help us. You knew they were going to pair these 2 up didn't you? This was just a given. They literally are the same person. Same kind of voice, same personal life story. This song is one of the most consistently overrated Idol performances of all time. I hated it then, and I think it's even worse than I remember. I can't stand the weird things she does with her voice (Fantasia). And what the heck is on La'Porsha's head? Well, I could ask that every week, but tonight she's got that huge thing on her head it a huge wrap. Oh man, someone please make this stop! It is so painful to my ears! I don't know which one of them is worse! And what's so sad is, the judges love it and everyone else loves it. I just can't understand why! I do not hear what everyone else hears, obviously. I hope I'm not alone. Every time we hear La'Porsha, the more nervous I get because I really don't want her to be our last American Idol. Nothing against her personally, I just do not like her voice. I don't call most of what she does, "singing". 



MacKenzie Bourg & Lauren Alaina - "I Hope You Dance" by Lee Ann Womack
I was REALLY hoping he would be paired with Nick. I think that would have been an awesome pairing! All the songs that Nick did his season were great and would have been perfect for MacKenzie. But instead, we have to hear him do country. I'm sure he's going to make it sound amazing. This is the first time we're seeing him without his guitar. I think she has a little crush on him. They're really cute together on stage. Their voices are so different. I like that they made the song a little more pop than country. Their voices sounded OK together, but I think another pairing would have suited him a little better. He makes anything sound good. I'm glad the judges acknowledged how good he was last night and that he probably would have done something different with the song if he was singing it alone.



Gianna Isabella & Nick Fradiani - "Beautiful Life" by Nick Fradiani
This should be a pretty good pairing. She has big shoes to fill singing his winning song. This is a very different kind of song for her. She would not normally sing something like this and it showed. Her harmonies were a little all over the place. I think she was fangirling a little too much. Her solo parts were pretty good, but I think they could have done something different for her with the harmony. Pretty good overall.



Avalon Young & Ruben Studdard - "Flying Without Wings" by Westlife (even though they put it on screen that it is Ruben's song)
I knew this would be Ruben's other song. I remember the way he completely butchered this song his season, and then it even got played on the radio. It killed me! The original is by one of my absolute favorite groups, and I love the way they sing it. His voice just does not do it justice at all. His voice sounds so different than when he was on the show. Somehow he's gone all nasally and high-pitched. His voice used to be more deep and rich. This song sounds way worse than it did the first time he sang it. He really is not made for duets (although La'Porsha would have been a good choice). His voice just does not blend well. Avalon didn't seem comfortable at all with this song or with singing with Ruben. I think people would be shocked to hear Westlife's version of this song...IT IS SO MUCH BETTER! If you don't know it, do yourself a favor and click here to see/hear how this song was meant to be sung. They sing it with passion and feeling, and I don't get any feeling from him when he sings it.



James Dawson VIII & Caleb Johnson - "Gimme Shelter" by the Rolling Stones
I'm really looking forward to this duet! They should be a pretty good pair. They're slightly different in style, but I think they will balance each other out well. And come on...the hair! I really like James. I know not many people do, but there's just something that makes me smile when I watch him perform. I was right - they sound pretty great together. Granted, Caleb is just so loud he kind of drowns James out a little bit, but if you listen, their voices really compliment each other. That was a great, fun performance! Again, people please give Caleb some love! I hope him being back on the show will help to put him on the map. He deserves to have success outside of Idol in the music world. 



Jeneve Mitchell & Scotty McCreery - "Gone" by Montgomery Gentry
Haha! She can't believe she's paired with him. What a pair these 2 make, huh?! Yikes! I know he's being nice, but I wonder what he really thinks of her. I'm sad to see her normal attire is back, including that cowboy hat that looks 10 sizes too big. I just have to laugh at her performance...it's just so hard to take her seriously. Gotta hand it to her, she's not holding anything back. It's just too bad she doesn't have the vocals to back it up. I know this is her thing, but I actually very much prefer what she did last night. That would be the lane I would tell her to pursue, but her heart is in this weird honky tonk country. I LOVE that Keith did not like that song for her and that he was going to forget that performance. Thank you Keith! Maybe they are finally realizing that this just isn't for Idol and she isn't as talented as they think she is. She's such an enigma. She can sing so beautifully like she did last night, and then she goes and does something like this where it's so gimmicky and so not vocally pleasing to the ear in any way. I just never know what to expect from her - she's so inconsistent.



Jordan Sasser & Fantasia Barrino - "I Believe" by Fantasia
This song should be pretty good for him because it will let him have his Celine Dion moment. This happens to be the only Fantasia song that I can tolerate. I happen to like Diana DeGarma's version better (imagine that). The recorded version is OK, but when she sings the song live, look out. Be prepared for your ears to bleed as she screeches like nails on a chalkboard. Talk about screaming a song...that's the perfect example of screaming/shouting rather than actually singing. She totally overpowered him to the point I didn't know if his mic was even on. When she toned it down, he was singing really great. J. Lo said Fantasia's voice brings tears to her eyes, and my response to that would be: because your ears are probably bleeding!



Results
I'm so glad I read the spoilers, otherwise I would be so anxious right now!

Moving On:
1. Avalon young
2. Gianna Isabella
3. Jeneve Rose Mitchell
4. La'Porsha Renae
5. MacKenzie Bourg
6. Sonika Vaid
7. Thomas Stringfellow

Going Home:
1. Emily Brooke
2. James Dawson VIII
3. Jenna Renae
4. Jordan Sasser
5. Stephany Negrete

My Thoughts
Of course, they saved the "wildcard" Jeneve for the last one to be called. You look at her and the other 5 people on the stage, and you say, "what?!" Any one of those singers are FAR more deserving of moving on. I am REALLY going to miss James. I think he's the one I'm the saddest about. Stephany is good, but a little annoying, and I don't think she could have won. I'm kind of sad for Emily, but she really did choke, and she is nothing compared to the Emily from The Voice. I'm going to miss Jordan a little bit, too, but he just has a little work to do and I don't think he would have made it much further.


Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites
And follow this blog with Bloglovin


No comments: