Tuesday, November 24, 2015

The Voice, Ep. 9.18 & 9.19

Top 11

Team Adam

Shelby Brown
"You and I" by Lady Gaga
Interesting choice, but a good one (finally!). She did a really good job with this song. Her big notes on "you and I" were done really well and were really strong. She held out the notes beautifully with just the right about of vibrato. She was mostly in tune with the exception of the end of the song, which is an unfortunate place to be off.
My Score: A-

Amy Vachal
"Blank Space" by Taylor Swift
OK, another really interesting song choice. And I'm so glad that it's another current song. This one is more upbeat and poppy, which I love...it keeps her from being so snoozeworthy. Dare I say, I actually liked this performance? Never thought I would say it! I won't say that I'm blown away, but I like that she brings something new to songs like this that we've heard so much and done in the same way. I wish she would be just a little less breathy and a have a little more oomph behind what she's singing.
My Score: B+

Jordan Smith
"Who You Are" by Jessie J
This is going to be a little different than what we've heard from him, but he's going to rock it. It's another song that really has a deep meaning for him. He just doesn't hit a bad note, does he?! Those high notes are just incredible. He's so powerful, so emotional, so pitch-perfect. Again, nothing bad to say about it. Total goosebumps again, as usual.
My Score: A+

Team Blake


Barrett Baber
"Delta Dawn" by Tammy Tucker
Boy, they must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel to come up with some of these songs. Current songs people, current songs are where it's at. You can do an old song here and there, but don't live in the 70s...let's leave those in the past. So, week after week, I think Barrett's voice continues to show more and more flaws (either that or I'm just getting more annoyed by his voice more every week). I started out thinking he was a pretty good country singer, but something has happened and now I just find him so cliché.
My Score: B-

Zach Seabaugh
"Are You Gonna Kiss Me or Not" by Thompson Square
I think his vocals are slipping more and more each week, similar to Barrett. I think if you look past his good looks (which are pretty good, in case you haven't noticed), that he isn't always that strong of a singer. He has some really great moments, but I also notice that he is really pitchy at times. He's just not very consistent. When he sings in his more normal voice, his voice is really gorgeous. His problem is when he uses the "country" part of his voice and does those little dips...I just don't care for that. Overall, it was a pretty nice performance...much better than last week.
My Score: B+

Emily Ann Roberts
"Why Not Me" by The Judds
Is this the first time she's played the guitar? I think it is. I actually really liked this. It's pretty country, but she makes everything so fun and makes you just want to sing along. Her voice is always so crystal clear. She doesn't sound like every other country singer out there. I feel like if you heard her on the radio, you would know right away who it was.
My Score: A

Team Gwen

Korin Bukowski
"Only Hope" by Mandy Moore
Great song...not sure if she can live up to it. I think more than anything, Gwen's decision to change Korin's hair really hurt her. I think maybe people thought she was trying to be someone different instead of the quirky original girl she had been. She looks like a Gwen Mini-Me with glasses, no? We'll see if it still holds her back. Her voice sounds so angelic on this song. I've loved this song ever since the movie "A Walk to Remember" and it always brings tears to my eyes. She did great on the high notes and brought some genuine emotion. She had one slight bum note...on pretty much the most important note of the song. Other than that, she did a pretty good job with it and ended it well.
My Score: B+

Braiden Sunshine
"True" by Spandau Ballet
Not even sure what to think of this song choice for him. I am dying to hear him do something really current and make it his own. Enough of these older songs. This song just isn't exciting for him. He's not doing anything interesting with it. His vocals have not quite been up to the standard he set earlier in the season. He set the bar so high for himself that he's been trying to get back up there again and isn't quite nailing it. It's another good performance, but he's got to do more if he wants to stand a chance against Jordan and Jeffrey.
My Score: A-

Jeffery Austin
"Dancing on My Own" by Robyn
This was a more subtle performance at the beginning. But then he broke out into classic Jeffrey. Another great vocal performance. However, as similar as he and Jordan are, I just don't feel the same listening to Jeffrey. Jordan makes me feel something, and for some reason Jeffrey just doesn't do that for me.
My Score: A

Team Pharrell

Evan McKeel
"Smile" by Nat King Cole
No, Evan, no. Come on...he was on the right track a couple weeks ago with Switchfoot. Ever since then, his song choices have really gone down the crapper. Sorry, these types of songs are not going to make people want to vote for you! He's lucky he has a great voice or he would be doomed. His voice is what saves him (I guess that's why they call it "The Voice"). This actually wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, and was lightyears better than "This is It" last week and "Overjoyed". It was nice to see him just sitting still on the chair and playing the guitar. I don't think we've seen him play an instrument yet in this competition. Overall, it was actually a nice performance. Nice, not outstanding...just nice.
My Score: B+

Madi Davis
"Love is Blindness" by U2
Anything she does will have to be better than the monstrosity that was "Who Will Save Your Soul" last week. It was nice to see her behind the piano for a little bit. I think she should have stayed there for the whole song. I don't know this song just seemed to be all over the place. She was fading in and out of pitch like crazy. Her low notes are barely audible. This was just so dull and the song just didn't go anywhere. And someone please tell her to STOP doing little speaking parts in her songs! This is the 2nd week in a row. It's not cool, it's just awkward. I will say that she finally brought it at the end of the song and saved it from being totally blah, but her notes were pitchy, so it wasn't completely saved. However, it seems the audience and coaches again, hear nothing that I did.
My Score: B-

Predictions

Should be bottom 2: Madi and Barrett
Should go home: Madi
Will be bottom 2: Korin and Evan
Will go home: Korin

Results

Bottom 2: Evan and Korin
Boy did I call it again or what?! So Evan does what he's been doing the last few weeks -- picked something out of the elevator or call-holding music genre: "Let's Stay Together". It was perfectly fine, but I sure don't feel like picking up the phone to send a tweet to save him. I picked Korin going home tonight, but didn't actually consider her and Evan going head-to-head. I think people will be more inclined to tweet to save her in this instance. Korin did "She Will Be Loved" - a Maroon 5 song! It might be close, but I think she's going to pull off the save again. She gave another really good performance and she seemed very comfortable with this song. She was really strong on the chorus. I would like to see more of this from her if she stays. I think Team Pharrell might be losing their 2nd member.

Instant Save: Korin

Going Home: Evan
I think I can still say I got this right. I changed my mind from last night, but I definitely had a feeling after Evan was in fact in the bottom with Korin, and hearing them both sing, that she was most definitely going to be saved over him.

Way to go Pharrell...you put together a real great team. I sincerely hope Madi is the next to go for a clean sweep.



Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites
And follow this blog with Bloglovin

No comments: