Monday, November 2, 2015

The Voice, Ep. 9.12

The Knockouts, part 3

Team Adam

Shelby vs. James

Shelby - Carrie Underwood's "Jesus Take the Wheel"
It's hard to beat Carrie Underwood. She did a good job, but I wasn't super blown away. This isn't anything we haven't heard before. It did get a little better and a little more of her personality started to show at the end.

James - Blake Shelton's "Sure Be Cool if You Did"
I don't know what it is about this guy, but I'm never excited to see him. I don't think it's just because he's country. I don't know, just looking at him I get bored. I think part of the problem is his styling, and the fact that I see Joel Osteen when I look at him. This was a nice performance, but man, it was boring! This seemed like such a safe choice and there wasn't any part of this that looked like he was in a competition fighting for a chance to stay alive. I would go with Shelby, because I think there's more to be done with her than with James.

WINNER: SHELBY

Team Blake

Emily Ann vs. Nadjah

Emily Ann - Dixie Chicks' "Cowboy Take Me Away"
I love this song...I know, right?! Yes, I happen to love the Dixie Chicks! She has such a beautiful, effortless quality to her voice. For a female country singer, she actually has a unique tone that doesn't sound like everyone else. I feel like I would be able to tell her apart from others. The more she sings, the more I really love her voice! She had perfect pitch, which I was a little worried about after hearing her rehearsal. This was so good! Definitely hoping she wins!

Nadjah - Alicia Keys' "A Woman's Worth"
Not a fan of this song, but she sang it well. There really isn't anyone else like her in the competition this season. There have been many like her in other seasons, but she is pretty much the only female R&B singer this season. Her performance was good, but I really like Emily Ann a lot better.

WINNER: EMILY ANN

Zach vs. Chris
WINNER: Zach

Team Gwen

Jeffery vs. Kota

Jeffrey - Adele's "Turning Tables"
This is a big undertaking. He always sounds better than what I remember. He really sounded amazing and did the song justice. He had the right amount of emotion. I liked the way he faded in and out of his falsetto and back to his full voice. He really knows what he's doing with his voice. That was haunting and beautiful.

Kota - Heart's "Barracuda"
OK, so I don't remember this girl at all, so that probably doesn't bode well for her chances. Especially with Jeffrey doing Adele. She definitely was able to belt out the big notes. Her problem was pitch when she wasn't singing the big notes. I would definitely go with Jeffrey.

WINNER: JEFFREY

Riley vs. Regina

Riley - Beyonce - XO
This girl is the real deal. She has an amazing voice. I love her tone. I'm not a fan of the song, but she did a great job. I like her way more than Regina, so I'm really hoping she can pull out the win! This might be the only knockout of the night that doesn't go my way. The good news is that Pharrell still has a steal, and this is the last knockout performance of the season, so we know one of these 2 will be on his team. The bad news is that if Riley wins, that means we still aren't rid of Regina.

Regina - Gladys Knight and the Pips' "Midnight Train to Georgia"
So I was wrong about there being no other female R&B singers this season. I guess I was just hoping that Regina wasn't still around. She should have been gone, but Gwen just had to use her save on her. Oh, how I hate this song! Like I've said before, she sounds just like so many other singers. There isn't anything that she does differently. She sings loud with a lot of vibrato. She also borderline screams, which is one of my all-time biggest pet peeves. I guess maybe I just don't get the point of the song, but why does it need to be screamed? Is it that big of deal to put THAT much emotion into it? I don't get it. We get it...you can sing/scream loud...what else can you do?

WINNER: REGINA
STEAL: Pharrell steals Riley

Team Pharrell

Mark vs. Siahna

Mark - Benny King's "Stand By Me"
Why not something current? This song has been done so many times. However, I really love his voice, so that kind of makes up for the so-so song choice. He really made some nice and unexpected ad-libs that made the song kind of fresh. I really enjoyed his performance. Vocally it was stellar, and he even threw in some dance moves. Unlike Darius, who is also on Team Pharrell, he actually has so much control over his voice and doesn't overdo the vibrato and the runs. He's way more tasteful than Darius is. I wish Pharrell would have put them head-to-head because I would love to see Mark just take out Darius.

Siahna - Amy Winehouse's "Back to Black"
Yes, yes, yes! Love this song, and this little firecracker should be able to really belt this out and do it justice. She is so brave to tackle this song, and I love that about her. I still can't get over her voice every time I hear her. Because you hear her talk like a little squeaky voice, and then she belts out like a diva. As strong as her performance was, I think I could hear a little bit of nerves, as her voice maybe had a little bit of a tremble. That's the first time I've heard that from her. I really wish Adam hadn't stupidly used his save earlier, because I would like him to get either of these 2. I think Mark was a little more polished, so I think he will go with Mark, unless he wants to continue to mold this young, tremendous talent. This is a tough one! I think Blake has a steal, but will he use it on either of them? Siahna, maybe, but probably not on Mark.

WINNER: MARK
That is such a shame to lose someone as talented as Siahna

Evan vs. Tim

Evan - Switchfoot's "Dare You To Move"
Love this song! I'm excited to hear him do this song, and I think it's a great fit for him. He has a great voice and he really made this song come to life. He really belted out the chorus at the end, and it was really impressive. That last note was killer!

Tim - Natalie Imbruglia's "Torn"
Whoa, this is a very, very interesting song choice. I've never heard a guy sing this song before. Earlier in the competition, I kind of liked his interesting voice. However, I am not digging him on this song. He sounds like he's sick because his voice has a lot more rasp than normal, and he almost sounds like he's hoarse. I am not loving this performance at all. I don't know if it is all the song, or what. This was disappointing because I did kind of like him before. I like Evan much, much better.

WINNER: EVAN



Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites
And follow this blog with Bloglovin

No comments: