Tuesday, November 17, 2015

The Voice, Ep. 9.16 & 9.17

Live Playoffs, Week 2

This was a rough week...there were not too many performances that I actually enjoyed. There were more painful performances than ones that gave me goosebumps. I really missed a few really good singers that we lost...*cough* Blaine, *cough* Keith, *cough* Viktor...I could substitute any one of those 3 in place of people like Amy, Evan, Mark, Madi, Barrett...

Team Adam

Amy Vachal
“Hotline Bling” by Drake
OK, put this in the column of songs I wouldn't even consider for Amy. Nice to see her trying something different and she's even playing the electric guitar. Wow, so interesting. I am so glad to see her trying something current rather than something very outdated, even though I hate the song. I have to say her version of the song is actually much better than the original. This was a very interesting performance, and much better than anything we've seen from her so far. But...I'm still not a fan.
My Score: B+

Shelby Brown
"In Color" by Jamey Johnson
This was a good performance, but I wasn't blown away. She seemed to be singing off of the beat, which was kind of weird at the end. It felt like she was really over-singing and forcing it at the end. I didn't care for the very last line of the song where she sang it really high...just didn't work.
My Score: B

Jordan Smith
"Great is Thy Faithfulness" 
Whoa...did NOT expect him to sing a hymn like this! His connection to the song almost brought me to tears! It was just him on the stage, and it was so powerful. He started out a cappella and it was amazing. There are really no words to do this performance justice. And then a hug from Adam at the end just sealed the deal. Can we just crown him the winner already? After losing 2 people who could have potentially won this thing (also from Team Adam: Blaine and Keith), there isn't anyone except for maybe Jeffrey, who has a chance of beating him.
My Score: A+

Team Blake

Emily Ann Roberts
"Blame it on Your Heart" by Patty Lovelace
This was a really fun performance from her. It's straight up country, but I still enjoyed it. I don't think she can ever have a bad performance. She's just that good. I also found it hilarious that all of her friends want Zach Seabaugh's number. 
My Score: A

Barrett Baber
“Right Here Waiting” by Richard Marx
Interesting song choice! I'm glad to hear him do something other than a straight country song. I kind of like his countrified version of the song. I don't think he's quite hitting all the notes right on. It's a little odd to hear the song with the "country" way that he says some of his words. Although I liked this song much more than his usual choices, I don't think that vocally it was his best performance. It was actually a little bit painful in spots.
My Score: B-

Zach Seabaugh
“My Love” by Little Texas
He's so gorgeous, can he please sing better songs? Please? He had a really, really flat note right at the beginning. The low notes were really sketchy and he just couldn't quite hit them. Was his microphone going in and out? There were times when his voice wasn't very audible. This just seemed like a mess. It had potential to actually be a decent performance...I don't know what happened. He's cute, so that should be more than enough to pull him through. 
My Score: C-

Team Gwen

Braiden Sunshine
"Renegade" by Styx
Oh my, Braiden! A rock song! Wow...that is something we haven't seen from him yet. He's done rock in his band, but we haven't really seen that on the show yet. I have to say, knowing what we've been seeing from him, this feels so out of character for him. He really worked on his stage presence and it paid off. His voice cracked a little at the end, but it was still another great performance from Braiden. 
My Score: B+

Korin Bukowski
“Titanium” by David Guetta and Sia
Gwen sure has the power of persuasion - she can get anyone to do anything. In this case, it was having Korin dye her hair platinum blonde! Sorry, but it was not a good look. I much prefer her natural color. This started out a little slow, but man did she blow it up at the end. I don't know that she had perfect pitch throughout. There were a few notes that just didn't sound quite right. Overall, it was a nice performance, and something a little different than we are used to hearing from her.
My Score: B

Jeffery Austin
“Let it Go” by James Bay
This was not my favorite performance for him. I didn't like this song choice at all. I don't know, I was just kind of bored during this performance. I usually love him, but this just wasn't doing it for me.
My Score: B+

Team Pharrell

Mark Hood
"Against All Odds" by Phil Collins
This song has been done so many times! Why again?! If he's going to keep doing songs like this, it's going to be time for him to go. He didn't really do anything with the song that we haven't already heard 100 times. He sang it well, but I was not wowed. This performance didn't move me enough to want to vote for him. Question: who on earth was screaming and wailing so uncontrollably at the end of his performance? That was so weird and his performance was not worthy of such an over-the-top reaction. 
My Score: B+

Madi Davis
“Who Will Save Your Soul” by Jewel
This should be a perfect song for her. Very interesting to turn this into a reggae song. I don't really think I like the changes she made to the song. I don't know that this was a smart choice. I don't think people are going to go for this. I definitely didn't like the little speaking parts she added in. This song is so one-note and doesn't really give her a lot to work with melodically. She actually looked uncomfortable singing this, and kind of had a look of "I hope this is over soon"...I had the same feeling Madi.
My Score: C-

Evan McKeel
“This is It” by Kenny Loggins
Yuck, I hate this song! This is 2 weeks in a row with a crappy song from him. He's going to have to do better than that if he wants to win me over. This was just so safe and boring! There was nothing exciting about this performance. I've liked his voice from the start, but it's his song choices where he's losing me. His voice was really cracking at the end because he was really forcing it too much. That is not going to make people want to vote for you, sorry kid. I was not NEARLY as impressed as all the coaches were.
My Score: B-

Predictions
Should be bottom 2: Madi, Evan
Should go home: Madi

Will be bottom 2: Korin, Mark
Will go home: Mark

The Results

Bottom 2: Korin and Mark

Mark: "Signed, Sealed, Delivered" by Stevie Wonder
He performed the heck out of the song, but been there heard that before.

Korin: "Don't Know Why" by Norah Jones
It was a nice performance, but this is not the song to use to sing for your life, especially when Mark sang a very uppety song and was bouncing all over the stage. The song choice is could very likely send her home.

Instant Save: Korin
Going Home: Mark

Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites
And follow this blog with Bloglovin

No comments: