Tuesday, November 10, 2015

The Voice, Ep. 9.13

Live Playoffs begin! Adam's and Pharrell's teams go head-to-head first.

First things first - who else is ecstatic that Adam's hair is back?! Woohoo! PLEASE, Adam - please don't ever shave your head again? I'm not sure how it's possible, but I think his hair looks better than it ever has! Thank you, Adam!

A first for the show - the Coach Comeback! Each coach gets to bring back one of their eliminated singers. Each team has 5 singers, and with one coming back that makes 6. On Wednesday night, we will be finding the Top 12 -- which means that the teams will all be cut in 1/2! 3 will make it, 3 will not! Yikes!

I'm so bummed to be watching this episode a day late, and therefore I can't vote! Yikes! There are definitely some people that I want to move on, and definitely some people that I don't. And I don't even have a say!

Team Adam

Blaine Mitchell
"Never Tear Us Apart" by INXS
PERFECT song! Love, love, love this song and I know he is going to perform the heck out of it! I got goosebumps in the first 15 seconds! Great performance! He's such a great performance, and that voice! Great last note.
My Score: A

Keith Semple
"To Be With You" by Mr. Big
Such an iconic song! Another great song choice, Adam! That song really takes me back! I love that he's playing guitar. I love when he sings the higher notes. Just love his voice so much! And like Blaine, he's such a great performer.
My Score: A

Shelby Brown
"You're No Good" by Linda Ronstadt
She is really proving that she can sing more than just country. She's really good at many genres. I'm glad Adam has helped her see her potential. Regina should really take some notes from her. She is so good at bringing the power but not screaming it in our ears the whole song. Another great performance from Shelby. It is so hard to stay on pitch when you really belt out those loud, high notes, but she does it so well.
My Score: A

Amy Vachal
"The Way You Look Tonight" by Frank Sinatra
No, no, no. This song is on my all-time most hated songs. Of course it's perfect for her voice, but man, I would love to hear her sing something current. This is just another in a long list of "sleepy" songs she's done. This type of song just puts me to sleep. I like her voice, I just wish she would sing better songs. My score is going to be based on the song more than her voice. Her voice is decent, but performance-wise, I just can't listen to anymore without wanting to rip my ears off. Adam's team is so stacked with talent, and she is easily at the bottom of his team in my eyes.
My Score: C-

Chance Peña - ADAM'S COMEBACK PICK
"Barton Hollow" by the Civil Wars
I'm glad to see Chance back! I was sad to see him go. He's another just young, talented kid this season! I can't say that I've ever heard this song before, but I was digging it. His voice was well-suited for it. I think he did an amazing job. Some of the parts were a little bit low, but he fought through it without losing the pitch. Great performance!
My Score: A-

Jordan Smith
"Halo" by Beyonce
Yes! Another great song choice, Adam! I got goosebumps during his rehearsals! I think this is the lowest we've heard him. This song is so hard to sing at the beginning, just because it's so low. The goosebumps just shot up and down my back and arm when he hit "grace". This guy is just freakin' amazing! Those "ooh"s were so flawless. He might have had a couple notes out of pitch for like the first time ever, but you know what, the rest of it was just so good that it doesn't even matter.
My Score: A

Team Gwen

Regina Love
"Hello" by Adele
Oh no, please don't overdo this song. I am glad that Gwen gave her a current song. This will test whether or not she can actually control herself and be powerful but in a subdued way, without all the screaming. I have to say I like how she started. She started just the way Adele did. One thing it did was point out that her voice is not that great or outstanding when you strip away the loud scream. When it came to the chorus, she belted it out, as per usual. To me, she sounded really flat. Even her loud screams were not that great if we're being honest here. She tried to be emotional with the song, and the last sob at the end was just low and painful. Ouch. I'm sure they must be hearing something different in the studio than how it's coming across on the TV. That song should make you feel something, and I just didn't feel anything from that.
My Score: B-

Korin Bukowski
"Adia" by Sarah McLachlan
Beautiful, just beautiful! The high notes weren't as on-pitch as they could have been. I still really like her voice. I'm so glad Gwen has convinced her to drop the glasses. She looks so much better without them and you can really feel her emotions because we can see her eyes!
My Score: B+

Ellie Lawrence -- GWEN'S COMEBACK PICK
"X's and Oh's" by Elle King
This is a great song, but this could be interesting for her...I'm not sure she can pull it off. Her voice is similar to Elle King, so that helps. I feel like the music is louder than her and we can't really hear her vocals that well. I'm not sure how I feel about this performance. I think her stage presence is better than what I remember. I think there were some pitch issues. Her voice sounded way more gravely on some of the chorus, and it sounded like her vocal chords were scuffed up with sandpaper. It was a bit more grit than what I like.
My Score: B

Jeffery Austin 
"Say You Love Me" by Jessie Ware
I've never heard this song before. Another great performance. I don't know that it was his best ever, but it was still really good. His vocals still blow me away every time. He really got into it at the end.
My Score: A-

Braiden Sunshine
"Everything I Own" by Bread
Sorry, this will always be an *NSync song in my eyes - I don't care if it was done by some group called Bread before *NSync did it. I'm so glad we got the straight hair/ no glasses Braiden again. Oh my this was so good! I still can't believe that a voice like that is coming out of such a young kid! How does he blow my mind...every...single...time! Another totally awesome performance! I was about to say that Jeffrey was by far the best singer on Gwen's team, but I keep forgetting that Braiden is on her team! As good as Jeffrey is, I think Braiden wins that award. Wow...speechless!
My Score: A+

Viktor Kiraly
"All Around the World" by Lisa Stansfield
I forgot about Viktor being on Gwen's team now, too! Oh boy. So it's pretty obvious that Gwen's guys are all 10x better than her girls. I can't say that I love this song choice for him. I don't think it showcases his amazing voice. I'm disappointed that this is what Gwen came up with for him. This was not my favorite performance of his. I blame the song for that. Such a shame because he deserves to be here, but songs like this aren't going to keep him around.
My Score: B+

Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites
And follow this blog with Bloglovin

No comments: