Monday, November 17, 2014

The Voice, Ep. 7.16

Top 12 

Team Adam

Damien - "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother" by The Hollies
Not a great song choice, Adam. I've never liked this song. It's so slow and boring. But you can't deny Damien's voice, and his ability to pour out his emotions in his song. It was a good performance...just wish it was a different song.

Matt McAndrew - "Take Me to Church" by Hozier
This is one of my favorite songs right now, and I'm so excited to hear him rock it! I have goosebumps already! This song exemplifies everything I love about Matt's voice. The beginning verse was super good. Then he got to the chorus, and it got even better! The goosebumps have now turned to chills! That was quite possibly the best performance of the season...it was that good! Perfect song, perfect performance, that's all there is too.

Chris Jamison - "Jealous" by Nick Jonas
I think this will be a good song for him, because it really features the falsetto. It's really popular right now, so I hope that will make people want to vote for him. He sounded so confident on this song, but that's nothing new...he always owns every performance. He looks like he's putting on his own show, and it's just so good every time. This was just such a good all-around performance, and it got better the further it went. He just has this innate ability to float from his falsetto to his full voice, it's crazy! Loved it, and love him!

Team Blake

Jessie Pitts - "Don't You Worry Child" by Swedish House Mafia
I'm not a fan of this song, but I'm interested to hear her change it up and do a different version of it. I like that she made it a little darker and it had a very haunting feeling to it. I like that she can be so original and she never sings a song exactly like the original. In fact the songs are usually unrecognizable from the original, and this was no exception. I still wasn't a fan of this song, but I like that she takes risks. One thing she needs to work on is her lower notes. When she hits the bottom of her register, she really struggles to find the note, and it comes out sounding forced. Her high notes that she just floats so effortlessly to, with that vibrato and yodel are her strong skills, and she always sounds good when she focuses on that.

Reagan James - "It Ain't Over Til It's Over" by Lenny Kravitz
This isn't my favorite performance of hers. I don't know if it's just the song or what. I just wasn't into this performance like I normally am with her. I agree with Adam, it was a little too breathy.

Craig Wayne Boyd - "You Look So Good In Love" by George Strait
Craig can do the impossible. He can make listening to country actually tolerable. This wasn't my favorite performance, but I always love listening to his voice.

Team Gwen

Ryan Sill - "Ordinary World" by Duran Duran
I absolutely love this song! It's one of the first songs I remember loving from my childhood. This is such a different song for him. We're used to the light pop sound, but this is darker and edgier, and he sounds almost like a completely different person! I love it! He was good before, but this was excellent! I think he really nailed it. The last huge, high notes were maybe a little off where they should have been, but it was still a really good performance.

Taylor John Williams - "If" by Bread
Another strong performance for John, but it was very boring. He usually has something that makes the song interesting. But this just didn't really go anywhere.

Anita Antoinette - "Redemption Song" by Bob Marley
Yuck. That's it. I'm so ready for her to be gone. I just can't handle the reggae any more.

Team Pharrell

Sugar Joans - "Take Me to the River" by Al Green
She actually isn't annoying this week. This is probably her best performance yet. She still isn't my favorite by any means, but at least I could tolerate listening to this performance. She toned down the scream and only did it at the end, which was much easier to handle.

DaNica Shirey - "Creep" by Radiohead
What?! "Creep"??? Never in a million years would I have ever imagined her singing this song. I am pleasantly surprised, Pharrell! She has been one of my least favorite singers this season, mainly because of the dated song choices that were all so boring. But this...THIS! This was amazing!!!! If she sang songs like this every week, she would be at the top of my list. I love this song, and she did an amazing version of it. I was a little worried because although she has power, I never saw her with this raw, dark, rock edge. But she totally nailed it, and then some! I got chills!

Luke Wade - "Thinking Out Loud" by Ed Sheeran
This is when Luke is at his best...singing current, relevant songs. I love the range of dynamics he showed with this song. He was soft, and he also brought some power and emotion at the end. I liked this performance.


Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites
And follow this blog with Bloglovin

No comments: