Monday, November 3, 2014

The Voice, Ep. 7.11

The final Knockouts, which decide who is going to the Live Shows

Team Adam

Blessing Offor vs Chris Jamison
I don't like this matchup. I LOVE Chris and Adam LOVES Blessing. This is not going to end well ;(

Chris - "Sitting On The Dock Of The Bay" by Otis Redding
Oh, how I hate this song! It is on my all-time list of worst songs ever. Why, Chris, why?! The good thing is that Adam loves this song, so hopefully that will help him win this battle. As much as I hate the song, Chris's voice just sounds so good on any song. He did some great things with the song, and definitely improved it from the original. I loved the ending of the song, where he really let his skills shine. His falsetto is crazy! He always sells every performance with how he moves around the stage. He's just a star, and he's so much fun to watch/listen to.

Blessing - "Your Body Is A Wonderland" by John Mayer
As I've said before, Blessing just doesn't sing stuff I like. Now, I do like John Mayer, so I thought there might be hope. But, he went and Stevie Wondered it, and really ruined it. It didn't really even sound like the original. I especially didn't like the way he shouted one of the most recognizable parts of the song. I just didn't care for this at all. He always sounds pitchy...why doesn't anyone else ever hear that?

WINNER: Chris Thank you God!!! I couldn't bare to lose another good one, especially to Blessing.

Matt McAndrew beat Rebecah Samarin
I am so incredibly bummed we didn't get to watch Matt. He's one of my favorites, and I would have loved to see him take on Train's "Drops Of Jupiter".

Team Blake

Allison Bray vs Taylor Brashears
Allison - "Sin Wagon" by Dixie Chicks
She killed the vocals--so good! She added some fun quirkiness to it, but I think she could have done more to let loose and make it wild like Taylor Swift advised her to do. There are some really hard parts in this song, and she totally nailed it.

Taylor - "Landslide" by Fleetwood Mac
This was a really good song choice for her. It really suited her voice. It was soft and subtle, and the little inflections in her voice were perfect. It was a little on the safe/boring side though. I don't think one long-held note was all that impressive. That was really the only big moment in the song. She didn't really add anything special to the song.

WINNER: Taylor

Grant Ganzer vs Reagan James
Reagan - "Hit 'Em Up Style" by Blu Cantrell
This is such a cool song, that I love! And I don't think anyone has ever sung this song on any reality singing competition ever. It's definitely challenging, that's for sure. She continues to impress me with every performance, and this was no different. She has such a mature sound for only being 15. She really carried the energy that this song requires. She even gave me goosebumps. This girl is going to be a star. Those runs at the end were ridiculous!

Grant - "Apologize" by OneRepublic
Who is this guy? We haven't seen him in any round, I don't think...if we did it wasn't much. I absolutely love this song. This is a big, popular song to tackle for such a young guy. He impressed me with his strong lower register. I didn't think he would be able to be that solid that low. He has a surprising growl in his voice that you don't really see coming. I think he did a pretty good job, but that song is so difficult. I'm not sure if it was as good as it could have been. I think he needs a year or two, and he'll be really good.

WINNER: Reagan

Team Gwen

Ryan Sill vs Beth Spangler
Ryan - "Miss Independent" by Ne-Yo
I just love his voice. It just sounds so effortless. He floats from lower to higher notes, so quickly. He was hitting some of those high notes with his full voice, not falsetto. That's impressive! Unfortunately, I don't think this song did him any favors. It didn't really let him shine like I know he can. He didn't really look all that comfortable singing it for some reason.

Beth - "Too Little Too Late" by JoJo
I love this song. She tends to belt out songs right from the beginning. This time she started out really soft, and it let her really build up to the chorus. She could have really overdone the chorus and shouted it, but she did it really strong, but also really tasteful. I think she got the emotion just right, and she really did a good job. This was by far her best overall performance.

WINNER: Ryan

Craig Wayne Boyd vs Anita Antoinette
Anita - "Rude" by Magic
I'm not a fan of this song, and it's played WAY too much on the radio. I'm really sick of it. Unfortunately, I hate her version even more than the original.

Craig - "Can't You See" by The Marshall Tucker Band
This guy is "in it to win it", as Randy Jackson would say. He let Gwen style him, and his hair is now a lot shorter, and he has less facial hair. It really works for him. I like the leather better than all the fringe he was rockin' before. He did a great job on this song. It's a little too country for me, but it was still a really good performance, and he took us to church like Gwen and Taylor wanted him to. I think there's no question he was better than Anita...but we know where Gwen's allegiance lies, and we know that Blake wants Craig badly for his last steal.

WINNER: Anita
STEAL: Blake steals Craig

Team Pharrell

Jean Kelley vs Menlik Zergabachew
Could these 2 be any more different?

Menlik - "Could You Be Loved" by Bob Marley
How happy was he to be singing straight up reggae? This was the perfect song for him. I'm not really a reggae fan, but this was a really good performance. I liked it. It got to be a little bit shouty at some parts though.

Jean - "Chandelier" by Sia
This song is just epic, and such a big risk. Not just anyone can sing this song. She blew me away with this performance. What she did with the song was absolutely phenomenal. I loved the slight changes she made on the "1, 2, 3". Those high notes hit like laser beams. Her emotion was so raw, and you could really feel what she was singing. Wow. Just wow.

WINNER: Jean


Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites
And follow this blog with Bloglovin

No comments: