Wednesday, February 26, 2014

American Idol, Ep. 13.14 and 13.15

Tonight, the competition really begins. The Top 13 all go head to head. The theme for tonight is "This is Me". They will pick songs that represent them.

Something to note about the new voting system:
  1. The contestants will have 1 phone number for the entire season..it won't change every week depending on their singing order
  2. Voting on Google and the apps will go to 10 AM the next morning, while phone voting is open uphours after Voting can begin as soon as the episode starts airing
Dexter
I wasn't really feeling this performance tonight for some reason. I don't know if it's because his song was so "country" or what. I didn't think he really sang it that great either. Not his best performance. I don't think he was very original or creative with this song choice. Totally agreed with everything the judges said.
My Score: 6

Malaya
I don't really think she "sang" this song. It sounded more like she was speak-singing the verses. I don't think it showed off her voice very well. She definitely had a lot of energy, but again, I was not very impressed with this performance at all.
My Score: 5

Kristen
She picked a great song, but she was not hitting the notes at the beginning, they were just off by a smidgen. Once she got to the chorus, it was a lot better.
My Score: 7

Ben
This was a really fun performance. I think he did a really good job with the fast lyrics, and adding some of his own personality to it. He is really surprising me and impressing me every time he sings.
My Score: 9

C.J.
Yay, the old C.J. is back! No more goofy hat, he's back to his good old ballcap. I think the hat really held him back last week. The song was wrong and he just didn't look or sound comfortable. This week, he's back to the C.J. I fell in love with in the audition and Hollywood week. He was having so much fun, and his voice sounded great. Awesome performance!
My Score: 10

MK
Yuck, yuck and more yuck! I didn't like this song AT ALL! This is not the type of stuff she should be singing. Last week's John Legend song was where she belongs. This was just awful. It didn't show off her voice at all. It was just all over the place and I just didn't get it at all. I don't even think her vocals were good. There's only a select number of things that she sounds good singing, and this wasn't it.
My Score: 2

Majesty
I loved this performance! It was a great song for her and she performed it really well.
My Score: 8

Jena
This is one of my all-time favorite songs. Great song choice! I think she did a great job. This is one of my favorite performances of hers. Much better than last week's song.
My Score: 8

Alex
Another great song choice for Alex, and another one tonight. He actually sounds a lot like Jason Mraz. He did a lot of cool things with his voice and he had a great falsetto. His high note was really spot-on and was incredible.
My Score: 8

Jessica
This is such a great song, one of my favorites. I love this song for her. I like this side of her so much better than the country side that she was trying to go for last week. This was 100x better! I hope she sings songs like this from now on. She still looks a little uncomfortable on stage, so she needs to work on that.
My Score: 8

Emily
Her low notes were a little off, but once she got to the chorus, it was beautiful. Definitely the prettiest performance of the night.
My Score: 9

Sam
Love Matchbox Twenty, so I loved this song choice for him. I love when he plays with his guitar. I think he did a really good job with the song. We don't hear people cover them on this show, and there's probably a reason, because not just anyone can sing like Rob Thomas. I thought he did a great job. I really enjoyed it. I love Sam!
My Score: 9

Caleb
Caleb is such a rockstar. I don't think there's ever been anyone quite like him on Idol before. He just nails every performance from top to bottom. I didn't know this song, but he did a great job with it. I don't know if I've said this yet, but Caleb really reminds me of Jack Black in School of Rock. He looks a little like him and he sure sings/dances like him.
My Score: 10

My Bottom 3: MK, Dexter, Malaya
Most Likely will be the Bottom 3: Kristen, Ben, C.J.
My Pick to Go Home: MK
Most Likely will Go Home: Kristen


The Results

Bottom 3: Malaya, MK, Kristen

Going Home: Kristen

Man, if I would have listened to my gut, I could have had 2 in the Bottom 3 instead of just 1. I'm so surprised that MK and Malaya were actually in the bottom! I was really banking on the popularity that those 2 have had up to this point. People have just been goo goo over MK and Malaya has been so fun and goofy, that I thought she would stand out and wouldn't actually be in the bottom. 

No comments: