Saturday, February 28, 2015

American Idol, Ep. 14.16

Top 24
Last night was the guys, and tonight we hear the Top 12 Girls. I'm gonna say it now...can we just get rid of all the girls and keep all the guys? Please?

Lovey James - "Love Runs Out" by OneRepublic
Oh how I love this song. I didn't live how she started it, but once she got to the chorus it was great. Of all the girls left she ranks at or near the top of my list. Loved this performance. Great way to start the show.
My Score: A

Adanna Duru - "Rather Be" by Clean Bandit
I don't know what it is about her that bugs me. This was a pretty good performance. I was surprised with how the song just blew up at the end. Nice risk taking that kind of paid off there. It was a little too over the top for my taste, though.
My Score: B+

Alexis Gomez - "Gunpowder and Lead" by Miranda Lambert
How many times do we have to hear this song, seriously? Every version always sounds exactly the same. I like her, so I will give her a pass this time. I think she did a good job with it...about as good as I would expect.
My Score: A-

Joey Cook - "Somebody Like You" by Keith Urban
There are so many things wrong with this it's not even funny. For one, She brought that awful accordion back. Second, accordions and country music just don't go together. Third, she totally rearranged it and ruined Keith's song, and it became totally unrecognizable. Fourth, someone needs to help her with her wardrobe and tell her to stop dying her hair herself...it always looks hideous. Then on to the singing...just don't like it and I don't ever want to hear more from her so America please don't vote for her. She never should have made it this far because she messed up so many times in Hollywood. My ears will never forgive me for putting them through the trauma of listening to her. Nothing else to say, just no, no, no...bad, bad, bad.
My Score: F

Katherine Winston - "Safe and Sound" by Taylor Swift
Beautiful song. I don't think I've ever heard this Taylor song before. A couple of off notes here and there, otherwise good. I don't think it's a very memorable performance, though.
My Score: B

Shannon Berthiaume - "Who Knew" by Pink
Great song choice for her. I think she had a good performance. I felt like she was holding back a little bit. Toward the end she started letting go and it was good. I still think she could have done a little better. I think she had a few nerves. I agree with Harry about committing more to the lyrics. It felt like she was just singing them and not really feeling them.
My Score: B

Loren Lott - "Note to God" by Charice
I still can't stand the nasally tone of her voice...it just sounds so childish to me. If I can get past that, technically, her voice is great. It's just that tone that I can't get past. She brought the house down with some really big, loud notes st the end.
My Score: B+

Shi Scott - "Umbrella" by Rihanna
She started out really awkward. She seemed off the beat the whole time. What an awful arrangement of that song! Yuck! Don't be fooled people...just because she sang loud does NOT mean that it was good! It was way too over the top and way too forced and shouty! Thank you judges for not bring fooled! Great feedback from the judges! She (Shi) is not ready for this competition...that was obvious in Hollywood and it's really obvious now.
My Score: D

Maddie Walker - "Love Gets Me Everytime" by Shania Twain
An oldie but a goodie. She did a pretty good job, but it was pretty bland and vanilla. She didn't really do anything exciting with the song. Any girl who sings country could sing it just as well.
My Score: B+

Sarina-Joi Crowe - "Mamma Knows Best" by Jessie J
She has not been my favorite so far this season and I didn't ru expect much from her tonight. I was pleasantly surprised with this performance. Vocally she was pretty close to perfect. By far one of the best vocally and most entertaining performances of the night.
My Score: A+

Jax - "Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down) by Nancy Sinatra
Jax is either really good for me or almost unbearable to listen to. Tonight was one of her best. What a good song choice! It showed a lot of sides to her. It was soft and vulnerable at the beginning and totally powerful at the end. I really, really loved it! I hope she can keep that up!
My Score: A+

Tyanna Jones - "Lips are Moving" by Meghan Train or
Great song and great performance. It was fun and she sounded pretty good for most of the song. The lower notes seemed a little off.
My Score: A-

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I really liked her Hollywood week but I can't stand either of Loren Lott's live performances, very pitchy nasal and cheesy. I am beyond annoyed by her moving on.

Lori Showalter said...

I could not agree more Caitlin!