Monday, February 23, 2015

The Voice, Ep. 8.1

It's time for Season 8!

Our coaches for this season are Adam Levine (of course), Blake Shelton (of course), Christina Aguilera, and Pharrell Williams. All are returning coaches, but we've never had this combination before.

Joining this season as mentors during the Battle Rounds are:

Team Adam: Ellie Goulding
Team Blake: Meghan Trainor
Team Christina: Nick Jonas
Team Pharrell: Lionel Richie

The Blind Auditions begin, and here's who joined a team tonight:

Team Adam - 0

Team Blake - 3

Sarah Potenza, 34
She has a huge personality, and she's got a lot going on with her look. Doesn't do anything for me at all. I hate the glasses. I was not impressed with her voice at all. I would say she was OK, but I would definitely pass. I didn't hear anything special about her voice at all. It was kind of raspy, kind of gravely. We've heard lots like her before and she wasn't any better than any of them. She's necklace twins with Pharrell and she got a very long hug from Adam...not fair! She lives in Nashville, so naturally, even though she sang rock, she chose Blake.
Chair Turns: 4

Cody Wickline, 20
He's clearly country just by looking at him, and then he talks...yep...he's all country. 3 words, and Adam pushed his button. Wow, that was fast! He sounds like he's trying to sing with his mouth closed or something strange. I don't care for it at all. Parts of his voice were nice, I just wish he would open his mouth a little more and wouldn't have so much of that country twang. Adam was way too excited for him...like way too excited...he's not that good. I totally disagree with Christina. She said he could sing anything. Um no. He is in one lane, and one lane only, and that's country. He would not sound right singing anything else...at all, trust me.
Chair Turns: 4

Joshua Davis, 37
Only 5 words in, and Adam and Blake turned around. He's got a very distinct voice, very Bob Dylan-esque, with a lot of depth and soul. He is one to watch, because he's got a lot of talent. There's some blues there, there's some rock. Great performance! I can't believe he didn't get 4 chairs.
Chair Turns: Adam and Blake

Team Christina - 2

Rob Taylor, 22
He has a very rich sounding voice. It's so full. He started out pretty deep, and then all of a sudden he went into this ridiculously high falsetto. And he just kept going higher and higher...my goodness! He's got some skills! He hit some notes only dogs could hear, I think. Wow. I got some goosebumps on that one. I didn't love the song, but he has definitely got some pipes on him.
Chair Turns: 3 (Adam, Christina, Pharrell)

Treeva Gibson, 16
Absolutely beautiful voice! There's something a little haunting about her voice. She has a beautiful vibrato, that she didn't over do. She was maybe shaky in a couple places, but I think she can get past that. The end of the song was so strong. Great performance. I can't believe only 2 chairs turned.
Chair Turns: 2 (Christina and Blake)

Team Pharrell - 3

Lowell Oakley, 19
Cute kid! I hate that he's a crooner...boo! He sounds a lot older than 19. I absolutely hated the song! He seems to have a pretty good voice, but oh man...pick a different song!
Chair Turns: 2 (Adam and Pharrell)

Meghan Linsey, 28
1/2 of the duo Steel Magnolia, and she has opened for Blake before. Well, I guess this is a done deal. She has a really interesting voice. Her voice has a lot of different textures and tones to it. The second half of the song sounded almost completely different than the first, but I really liked it! She gave everything she had to that performance.
Chair Turns: 3 (Adam, Christina, Pharrell)

Sawyer Fredericks, 15
This kid looks like his hair has never seen scissors. He needs a haircut, badly. I'm sorry, he looks like a girl, especially the way his long hair is styled. He reminds me so much of Jason Castro from American Idol. He's got the same blue eyes, and long hair. He does not look like a farmboy...at all. I love the Soggy Bottom Boys' "Man of Constant Sorrow". It didn't take more than a couple words for Adam, Pharrell and Christina to turn around. I cannot believe this kid's voice! Holy crap! The more he sings, the more insane it is. I got the full body goosebumps on this one! I almost didn't even recognize the song, but it was so amazing! Adam has no one so far...he NEEDS this kid!
Chair Turns: 4

His performance was so good, I'm embedding it here, just in case you missed it or want to watch it again!




Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites
And follow this blog with Bloglovin

No comments: