Monday, November 14, 2016

The Voice, Ep. 11.14 & 11.15

Live Playoffs begin - Top 12

I, for one, am hoping for a much better night of performances than we got last week. I don't know what happened last week, but people were off their game. Song choices were a huge factor, and I think the first live show brought out some nerves. I sure hope they all do better tonight.


Team Adam

Billy - "The Show Must Go On" by Queen
He's really brave to tackle this, but if anyone this season can do it, he can. He sounded incredible. It was a big production and he commanded the stage. He totally rocked it out. Best of the night for sure. I think Adam might have liked it...he was standing on his chair :)
My Grade: A+

Josh - "Why" by Jason Aldean
I liked his approach to this song. I don't know that we've seen him without his guitar this whole competition. It was kind of nice to see him out in the crowd on the chair, up close and personal. His vocals were great as usual. The end was especially good. He knows how to work the stage and the crowd.
My Grade: A

Brendan - "Whipping Post" by The Allman Brothers
This is a very different Brendan than we've seen from him so far in the competition. I don't know if I like this Brendan as much as the old Brendan. I think on a different rock song, I might have liked it better. I just don't care for this song at all. I don't know if this was a smart move for him or not, changing up his style so drastically. His voice just isn't meshing well with the music. He's screaming with such grit and while it doesn't sound horrible, it just seems to be clashing. Not his best.
My Grade: D

Team Alicia

Christian - "The Scientist" by Coldplay
LOVE, love, love this song! Such a good choice. I hope he can do it justice. Rehearsals sounded a bit rough. This song just always gives me goosebumps. He's no Chris Martin, but he gave it his best shot. That first "nobody said it would be easy" was beautiful. I'm not sure I liked all of the note changes he made. It sounded a bit hectic at times. He really got to bouncing around at the end. He was definitely feeling it. I wanted to really love this. It was good, but I think he could have done a little better.
My Grade: B+

Sa'Rayah - "Livin' On A Prayer" by Bon Jovi
Yes, Sa'Rayah! Yes! Last week's song choice was very yucky. But this? This is perfect! Very unexpected, but such a good choice. Enough of the diva power ballads of 30 years ago. It's nice to hear something different. Well, I guess this song is probably that old too (yikes!). She did some interesting things with it...but maybe tried too many things. She couldn't seem to find the tempo at the beginning. But what she did do was nail that power chorus. The ending was really good...until the last 2 notes where she really screeched. It was building up to be really great, and then her voice kind of went out.
My Grade: B

 - "Take Me To Church" by Hozier
Yes! Great song choice! It was nice to see her on the piano at the beginning. And then at the chorus, she just let loose. Incredible performance as usual.
My Grade: A+

Team Blake

Sundance - "My Church" by Maren Morris
I like this type of song for him. I don't think his voice sounded great at the beginning. He sounded out of breath from the start. The background music and singers were too loud. He can belt it out, but the rest was kind of distracting. The second half of the song was better than the first. Still not his best performance, though. He was doing a lot of shouting instead of singing.
My Grade: B-

Austin - "Do Right Woman, Do Right Man" by Aretha Franklin
Interesting song choice. A country dude doing an Aretha song...couldn't be more different. But, you know what? This actually worked. And it didn't just work a little bit, it was really good! This guy is the real deal. He's a real artist. He knows what works for him, and he knows how to take a risk and make it really pay off. Great performance.
My Grade: A

Courtney - "I Don't Want To Miss A Thing" by Aerosmith
Something just seemed a bit off with this performance. I'm not sure what it was. It was like the tempo was a bit off and she was a little bit shaky at the beginning. I think she was maybe getting a bit emotional at the end and it caused her notes to be really off at times. She had such a strong performance last week and Blake saved her, but this performance just wasn't quite up to that standard. She did have a couple of really big notes that she nailed, though.
My Grade: B-

Team Miley

Darby - "Ruby Tuesday" by The Rolling Stones
Boring. Once she got to the chorus, she was just shouting. And what the heck is she wearing? That horrible flowered outfit, with a mic absolutely covered in flowers. Just yuck. There wasn't really much to like about this performance.
My Grade: D

Aaron - "Hollywood Forever Cemetery Sings" by Father Saint Misty
I've never heard this song, but I trust him. He usually has really good taste in music and always sounds good on anything he does. He always leaves me captivated. I do kind of wish that I could understand his words a little better. Another strong performance. I wish I knew the song, but I feel like it's kind of his song.
My Grade: A

Ali - "Did I Ever Love You" by Leonard Cohen
Wow, she brought the house down with that performance! Beautiful voice.
My Grade: A


Results

Bottom 2: Aaron (Team Miley) and Sa'Rayah (Team Alicia)

They sing for the instant save, and...

Instant Save: Aaron
Going Home: Sa'Rayah

Woohoo! I'm a little surprised that it came down to these 2. I thought Aaron would connect a little more. Sa'Rayah gave a really good "save me" performance, but it was with an unknown song (at least to me). Aaron did "Lego House" by Ed Sheeran, so right away I thought that was a good idea. He didn't do as well with it as I would have liked, but it was enough for him to get the save. Hoping for a better week for him next week, and hopefully people will come to their senses and boot Darby.



Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites
And follow this blog with Bloglovin


No comments: