Monday, November 21, 2016

Dancing with the Stars, Ep. 23.11 & 23.12: Finale

I can't believe we are at the finale already! I feel like I say that every season. It all just goes so fast. I'm not ready to say goodbye to our dancers yet! Can't wait for a great couple nights to close out the season.

I have a feeling that our final 2 are going to be Lauren and James, with Lauren having the final edge. She's just so darn likable and incredibly talented, to boot. She also came in with a larger fanbase than James. I will be happy with either of them winning...or Calvin or Jana for that matter. They are all VERY deserving. I would like to see Sharna get her first win, though, if I'm being honest. And I just adore James. I can't wait to see what the pros have cooked up for their freestyles...because as we all know: the freestyle is everything. Have a great one and it could push you over the top. Have just a mediocre one and it could cost you the mirrorball.

Round 1: Judges' Picks, Redemption Dance

Calvin & Lindsay - Viennese Waltz
He's going to kill this dance this week. His last Viennese Waltz was good, but he has improved so much since then. Most improved, I think, is his gracefulness and his musicality. He feels the song and he's so connected with Lindsay. It's just really beautiful. He is just such a joy to watch on the dancefloor.
Score: 35 Carrie Ann deducting for a mini lift? Come on...seriously?! And she gives him an 8?! On finale night! So, so wrong.


Jana & Gleb - Tango
Not a good week to get the flu! Poor Gleb! First it was his knee and now he comes down with the flu :( When you have to wear a mask so your partner doesn't catch it, that's so sad. But look who's stepping up again...it's Alan! (Seriously, he better get a chance to be a pro next season!). I'm so glad Gleb is feeling good enough to dance tonight! She looks totally gorgeous in that bright red!All of the lasers are cool, but a little bit distracting. I don't remember this being one of her weaker dances, but she is killing it regardless. Uh oh, did her feet come off the ground? Hope not.
Score: 35...and of course, Carrie Ann caught it. I agree with Len when it's not intentional, it shouldn't be penalized. I TOTALLY agree with that, and I think it's utterly ridiculous that the judges can each decide whether it should be penalized or not. Do I sense a conspiracy to get Laurie and James in the final 2?

Laurie & Val - Paso Doble
Her first paso doble was really good, so I don't know how she could improve much on it. So, so good, as expected! She came out in full attack mode.
Score: 38

James & Sharna - Foxtrot
Hello Helio! Nice to see him back again to give James some advice and have a dance off! He did this dance week 1, and it was already so good, I can't imagine how much better it's going to be. James is playing a lovable nerd...too cute. Oh no...the song..."It Had to Be You". I always think of A League of Their Own when I hear this song. I don't love the song or the theme, but he danced it well.
Score: 37

Clearly, the judges are saving their high scores for the freestyle. I expect we could see 4 perfect 40s.

Round 2: Freestyle


Jana & Gleb
Unfortunately, going with something contemporary already puts you behind the game as far as freestyles go. I know it will be hot and emotional, and very, very good. But let's face it, it's not what people want in a freestyle. There have been a couple to do well in the finals, but generally, it's the bigger productions that are going to win it. Classic rookie mistake for Gleb. I do respect him for not adding a bunch of troupe dancers that ultimately just take the focus off of the people we really want to see. I like the concept of them being attached with the big ribbon. The song, Sia's "Unstoppable" is perfect for this kind of a dance. This type of dance is her strength, so Gleb nailed it with that as well. I could watch them dance all day, everyday. Their lifts were awesome! So good! But sadly, probably not good enough to overcome the ones yet to come. It was a valiant effort and she should be so proud of that dance, and of her journey. Well done.
Score: 36

Calvin & Lindsay
Now you KNOW that Lindsay is going to throw in lift after lift after lift. I can't wait! I hope he has enough other dance content and not just lifts. Because we know that he can lift, but we also know that he is an AMAZING dance. Ooh, I like the costume reveal....that was cool. Cool, they're on a treadmill? How are they moving?...or are they moving? I can't tell if it's them or just the subway in the back. That was trippy! Whoa, holy lifts! He just threw her over his head backwards! Lindsay is so brave! Wow...that dance was jam packed with all kinds of styles, a treadmill, a subway, lifts galore. That did not disappoint! The crowd loved it!
Score: 40

Laurie & Val
So cute, a playground! I love the beginning. Val did such a great job capturing her fun-loving spirit, while incorporating tons of dance styles, and just making it fun to watch. It was danced beautifully, and I love that...for the first time this season...she actually got to use some gymnastics moves. I feel like with other gymnasts, we always remembered they were gymnasts because of things they would add to their dances. I don't think Laurie relied on that one bit this entire season, which is incredible. Phenomenal.
Score: 40

James & Sharna
Come on Sharna, it all comes down to this. I really hope you can give James an absolutely amazing freestyle...you've both come so far, so don't lose it on the freestyle. I kind of like that they are going for the emotion by telling the story of his accident. BUT, we've kind of already heard it so many times this season, so I'm interested to see what they do with it. Love that we're seeing some abs at the start. Very powerful hearing his own words as he describes the accident. Love the song choice of OneRepublic'...but I wish it had the lyrics. This is kind of strange...it's kind of a contemporary, but kind of a ballet, but it's got some angst and paso thrown in. amongst the flowing ribbons hanging from the ceiling. Very moving piece for sure. Very memorable. HOWEVER, I don't think it's going to compare to Laurie's. But maybe the emotion will really win people over. It was smart, but it was also kind of a risk. I will still say "well done".
Score: 40

Results

In Jeopardy: James & Sharna (for drama only, I hope), Jana & Gleb
Going Home: Jana & Gleb :(

So sorry to see them go, but someone had to go :(

Week 11 Leaderboard

Laurie & Val - 38 + 40 = 78
James & Sharna - 37 + 40 = 77
Calvin & Lindsay - 35 + 40 = 75
Jana & Gleb - 35 + 36 = 71

Finale Night 2


I can't wait to see Vanilla Ice and Ryan Lochte again! I still think Vanilla Ice got majorly robbed. He should have made it a lot further. We really missed out on some laughs and innovative dances :(

Oh wow, I didn't think about it that all 3 of the finalists are all athletes. I can't believe that's the first time that's happened.

The couples will be recreating their favorite dances. I'm not going to take time to recap them, because well, we all know they are going to be awesome. So, let's just enjoy!

24 Hour Fusions

James & Sharna - Foxtrot/Viennese Waltz
I can't believe that we won't get to watch these 2 dance together any more :( He gave her his racing jacket that he was wearing in his accident :( I <3 these 2! No words to describe this other than: beautiful, romantic, heartfelt, lovely.
Score: 40

Calvin & Lindsay - Quickstep/Jive
2 of his best styles and so much fun. Who could have guessed at the beginning of the season that he would be so good at these fast-paced dances? He always lets his fun and happy-go-lucky personality show through.
Score: 40

Laurie & Val - Foxtrot/Argentine Tango
Yep, she's going to win. If there was ever any doubt...her dancing last with this phenomenal dance and all of its gold and spinning glory should make it pretty obvious. So well-deserved.
Score: 40

Final Leaderboard

Laurie & Val - 38 + 40 = 78 + 40 = 118
James & Sharna - 37 + 40 = 77 + 40 = 117
Calvin & Lindsay - 35 + 40 = 75 + 40 = 115

FINAL RESULTS!

3rd Place: Calvin & Lindsay
2ne Place: James & Sharna...and could they make it more obvious with him in silver...and Laurie in gold
WINNER: Laurie & Val



Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites
And follow this blog with Bloglovin


No comments: