Tuesday, November 8, 2016

The Voice, Ep. 11.13

The Live Shows begin!

20 become 12. Because of the election, there is no separate results show. Live voting the same night as the performances determined who will make the Top 12.

Team Alicia

Christian Cuevas
Pretty consistent with what he's done previously. I don't know if we've gotten to see him play the guitar before, so that's new. I actually really enjoyed this, and I think he did a nice job.
My Score: A

Kylie Rothfield
Pitch, pitch, pitch! She was all over the place. I like the artist that she is trying to be, but she has a lot of work to do. The second half of the performance was better than the beginning, but I'm just not really impressed with her.
My Score: B-

Wé McDonald
I don't know this song, and I'm not really loving this performance. Ooh, I think she's a little pitchy there, which is really unlike her. Yikes...I am not liking this at all. Normally, she is flawless, but she is so off. Most definitely not her best performance. She is capable of so much better. Did the live show bring out her nerves?
My Score: C

Josh Halverson
First notes out of the gate weren't great (which seems to be his thing). Not sure why he picked this song...not my favorite thing he could have done, as I don't really know the song. He sounds OK, but I don't know if it screams "vote for me!"
My Score: B

Sa'Rayah
Can her hair get any bigger? Is she trying to be La'Porsha? At least she is singing it well. Another yucky song choice. She is borderline screaming which is a major pet peeve of mine. Pretty impressive, though.
My Score: A-

Team Blake

Dana Harper
Another terrible song choice. Come on, people! I said last week that I loved where she was going with her song choices, but this one was not right for her. "Maneater", really?! And not the Nelly Furtado version either...because that would have actually been interesting! This was just really boring and it didn't show off her vocals at all. Just shows that Blake didn't know what to do with a non-country artist. She might have picked the song, but he could have told her to maybe pick something else.
My Score: B

Austin Allsup
First exciting performance of the night. He performed like he was giving a concert. Great vocals, great performance. And it wasn't even that great of a song. That just goes to show what a great performer and singer he is.
My Score: A

Jason Warrior
I don't know what is wrong with this season of singers, but song choice is a horrible, horrible problem. "One Dance"? Really? This is not a song that lends itself well for a competition at all. It sounded like he was screaming the whole thing. There is no need to scream this song...it's not that kind of song, and it's not that good of a song that needs to be belted out at the top of your lungs. Not his best by a mile. Very disappointing. That was just painful.
My Score: C

Sundance Head
Another song I don't know. Not knowing the song makes it so hard to get into a performance unless it's done really well. Vocally, this was OK, but not his best. Pretty boring, but we know he is capable of better, so he will most likely be safe.
My Score: A-

Courtney Harrell
BEST SONG CHOICE OF THE NIGHT BY FAR! Roxette's "Must Have Been Love". Loved this song for her! She rocked it out. The high notes were a tad bit shrieky. That note that she held out at the end, she held that thing forever! I can forgive the shriekiness because it was a good song choice.
My Score: A-

Team Miley

Sophia Urista
Interesting song choice, but it's kind of working for her. I'm actually loving this performance! I think this might be my favorite of the night so far!
My Score: A+

Darby Walker
I don't know what to think about this performance. What a strange song...but then again, she's kind of strange. Her voice can sound so affected sometimes. It's hard to think that that's how her voice actually sounds. I can take it in small doses, but it can just be too much. She had some really pitchy things going on tonight as well.
My Score: C

Aaron Gibson
I love Aaron, but I don't love his song choice tonight (like so many others). I hope he will make it through because I love his voice. His voice sounded a little more gruff tonight than it usually does. I wanted to really like it, because I've liked so many of his other performances, but because I didn't know the song, I just couldn't really get into it. Definitely not his best performance vocally.
My Score: B-

Belle Jewel
What the heck is this? Where are they finding these songs tonight? We're not at a 50s lindy hop. This is 2016. Please sing like it. Not bad vocally, but...
My Score: B-

Ali Caldwell
I love her voice, but again....she needed a better song. The song did really allow her to show off her power and her range, which was nice. She brought the house down. Unlike some others tonight, she didn't scream and wasn't too screechy. Her high notes were on pitch as well.
My Score: A

Team Adam

Brendan Fletcher
Great song choice! One of so few tonight! I absolutely love his voice. He just performed it. He didn't try to go outside of what he's good at. He just performed it and did it well. I loved his emotion on the last phrase. Ooh, chills!
My Score: A

Simone Gundy
Another good song. Beautiful performance. I like the subtle changes she made to make it her own. Her runs were gorgeous, and not overdone.
My Score: A

Josh Gallagher
For country, this is a pretty decent song choice. Wow, so that's what he looks like without a hat on! I almost didn't recognize him. Ooh, that was a really flat note. When he hit the chorus, it was so beautiful. I love his higher register so much more than his lower. I liked the way he whipped the guitar back and just rocked out with the mic at the end. That was a nice touch.
My Score: A-

Riley Elmore
And the award for the worst song choice of the night goes to...Riley! Not even close. There have been some awful songs tonight, but this one puts them all to shame. Hate, hate, hate, loathe this song. I'm sorry, but this kind of song and style has no place on this show. You can continue to put him through, but he is not going to sell albums after the show. Sorry. If the more popular styles can't produce stars on this show, you're sure not going to do it with this. I hate to be so blunt and mean, but come on. This style is just painful on the ears. I am going to be so incredibly upset if he takes a spot over Billy or Brendan.
My Score: F (sorry, I can't even score it higher because of the vocals)

Billy Gilman
I can always count on Billy for a good song choice...but not tonight. Again, it's 2016...can we sing something from the last 3 decades? Roy Orbison, really? At least he sang it well and kind of made it more modern. This guy has some amazing pipes!
My Score: A

RESULTS



Team Alicia 
America Saves: Christian, Wé
Alicia Saves: Sa'Rayah
Going Home: Josh, Kylie

Team Blake 
America Saves:  Sundance, Austin
Blake Saves: Courtney
Going Home: Dana, Jason
Team Miley
America Saves: Aaron, Ali
Miley Saves: Darby
Going Home:Sophia, Belle

Team Adam
America Saves: Billy, Josh
Adam Saves: Brendan (Thank you, Adam!!!!!!!!!)
Going Home: Riley, Simone





Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites
And follow this blog with Bloglovin


No comments: