Wednesday, May 18, 2016

The Voice, Ep. 10.22 & 10.23

Top 8
The Top 8 will be cut in 1/2! Sorry...but I'm glad it's almost over! This group needed to have the "fat" trimmed. When you know who's going to win the season, we don't need to drag it out any longer than we have to. Let's face it, most of the singers this season are just so mediocre and aren't really that exciting. They aren't bad singers, by any means. They just don't seem to have that star quality like so many others have done in the past.

Team Adam

Shalyah Fearing - "And I Am Telling You (I'm Not Going)" by Jennifer Hudson
Yuck, yuck, yuck. This song is on my most hated list. Stop singing it, people! Please! All it is is a song to scream at the top of your lungs. I am so bored listening to this right now. Her voice got so gritty - she sounded like she swallowed a bunch of razor blades or something. You could just tell that she was forcing it so hard that her voice just couldn't quite handle it. The beginning was actually decent because she was singing at a reasonable decibel. If she had tried to sing the whole song the way she ended it, she would have blown out her vocal chords.
My Grade: C

Laith Al-Saadi - "One and Only" by Adele
Let's just say that I like Laith a lot better when he sings more modern songs. Therefore, it shouldn't be that surprising that I thought this was one of his best performances. I'm still not crazy about him in general, but this was a great improvement over a lot of the stuff he sings.
My Grade: A

Team Blake

Paxton Ingram - "I'd Do Anything for Love (But I Won't Do That)" by Meatloaf
Yet another interesting choice for Paxton. I think he did a really nice job with this song. It had a lot of dynamics and was very entertaining. He had some pitchy moments at the end, but overall, it was pretty good.
My Grade: B+

Adam Wakefield - "I'm Sorry" by Blake Shelton
I could have done without the out of tune back-up singer (or singers?). That was so distracting. I just want to hear his voice, not someone singing loudly and out of tune. She added nothing to the song and actually detracted from it. This song was perfect for him and he sounded amazing. I think it would have been even more amazing if he would have sung the whole thing with just him and the piano - no back-up singer and no other accompaniment.
My Grade: A

Mary Sarah - "I Told You So" by Randy Travis
I think this song is going to be perfect for her. I've heard Carrie Underwood sing this song, and she actually sounds a lot like her in places. I've called her very mediocre in weeks past, but this is absolutely the best that she has ever sounded. Her voice was stunning on this song. If she had sung like this since the beginning, I would have loved her! This was just gorgeous and perfect.
My Grade: A+

Team Christina

Alisan Porter - "Desperado" by Eagles
There is just something about her voice that is just so effortless and beautiful. Gonna say it again: she is in a class of her own - so clearly. There is NO ONE this season who even comes close. This is as obvious as Jordan Smith winning last season. Barring some freak catastrophe, where people fall under Laith's spell (heaven forbid), she will be the winner, and I've pretty much been calling it since her audition (and so has the show, if we're being honest). This was just an awesome performance from top to bottom. She just doesn't have a bad performance.
My Grade: A+

Bryan Bautista - "Hurt" by Christina Aguilera
I love this song. I am LOVING him on this song. So amazing! I have chills! And he played the piano a little at the beginning...that's new for him! He brought all the emotion needed for this song and you could tell he was feeling every word. I loved what he did with "time" at the end. Beautiful!
My Grade: A

Team Pharrell

Hannah Huston - "When a Man Loves a Woman" by Percy Sledge
No, no, no! Yet another song that has been done TO DEATH! I like how she started the song in a capella. For a song I've heard a million times, she actually made it sound kind of new. She didn't really change it up, but it was the way she sang it. Her voice can be so captivating. She really let it all out at the end. It was actually pretty amazing.
My Grade: A

Duets

Alisan & Adam - "Angel from Montgomery" by Bonnie Raitt and John Prine
I like this duo a lot! Their voices and styles are pretty different, but they came together nicely. This was a very sweet performance. They didn't do anything over-the-top - they just sang beautifully. So refreshing!
My Grade: A

Bryan & Mary - "Break Free" by Ariana Grande
Oh Mary, oh Mary...so pitchy at the beginning. But oh does Bryan sound great! It's very clear that this is his style and Mary is way out of her comfort zone. Can she hit even one note in tune? She is so off, no? Is it just me? I didn't love Bryan's voice on the very high chorus. Whoever picked this song for both of them was really not thinking clearly.
My Grade: C-

Hannah & Laith - "Knock on Wood" by Otis Redding
I'm so over this song. I don't know why the consistently reuse the same old songs over and over and over. There are millions of songs in the world and they sing the same songs every season. These two sounded better than I thought they would. It was a pretty good performance, horrible song choice aside.
My Grade: B+

Paxton & Shalyah - "Masterpiece" by Jessie J
I get really annoyed without rounded Shalyah makes all of her words...it just sounds weird. I think Paxton sounded amazing. Parts of what Shalyah did were really good. I think they sounded pretty good together. It actually got really good the further they got into the song.
My Grade: A-

Results

My Top 4 would easily be: Alisan, Bryan, Adam, and Hannah. Sadly, I don't think all of them will make it.

Performed for the Instant Save: Laith, Bryan, Mary
Saved by America: Laith

Moving on to Top 4: Adam, Alisan, Laith (boo!), Hannah -- I guess 3 out of 4 isn't too bad :/
Going Home: Bryan (boo!), Mary, Paxton, Shalyah

Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites
And follow this blog with Bloglovin


No comments: