Thursday, January 21, 2016

American Idol, Ep. 15.6

Auditions #6: San Francisco - The last of the auditions for Season 15! Next week, we're on to Hollywood week! Fingers crossed for the singers I love...don't want to lose any to the dreaded Hollywood week.


Going to Hollywood!

Jessica Cabral, 21
She looks so familiar...where have I seen her before? She has a beautiful voice. Strong and powerful, but also a quiet tenderness. She has a nice range, nice vibrato...just the right amount of everything. I really like her. J. Lo compared her to Kelly Clarkson, and I didn't notice it at first, but she does have a very similar tone.

Brian Dale Brown, 27
"Unchained Melody" by Righteous Brothers
He's tried out 10 times, and I can see why he's never made it this far before. Can anyone say "over the top"? I think he could actually be good, but he does a VERY forced growl at the top of his lungs. If he could just sing and not be so dramatic and make such a production of it. It was kind of a joke, even though I think he was actually being kind of serious. I'm glad the judges recognized and called him out for being over the top. I'm not sure if he can take this competition seriously...he's pretty crazy.

Melanie Huber, 17
"Talking to the Moon" by Bruno Mars
What a story - she was diagnosed with Stage 3 Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma. She had chemo and now she's cancer-free! What a voice and what an inspiration! She had true emotion and it was really good.

Rachel Karryn, 20
Her Grandpa played guitar for her. She was OK, but we didn't get to hear much.

Caroline Byrne, 25
Her brother played guitar for her. I didn't care for the song, but we didn't really hear enough to get an idea of how good she is.

Bianca Espinal, 22
Her dad played guitar for her.I actually really liked her voice.

Chynna Sherrod, 16
"One Last Time" by Ariana Grande
I liked her slowed-down version of the song. I like her voice, but I'm not sure I was wowed. Probably not very memorable in the long run.

Lillian Glanton, 15
"Country Boyfriend" - original song
Wow, I don't know if I've ever heard such a thick country drawl like the one she's got! It's really hard to understand her. The words to the song show her age, but the music was actually pretty good. She's good, but not great. She definitely needs a few years.

Kayce Haynes, 23
"Brother" by Needtobreathe
He's cute! He reminds me of Gunner from the show Nashville a little bit. Oh wow, he's got an amazing voice! I love this song and he did an amazing job! I don't necessarily like the weird faces he made while he was singing, but he sure sounded good. His voice reminds me of the lead singer of Thriving Ivory, which you don't hear a lot. I also heard (after Harry mentioned it), a little bit of Bon Jovi as well.

Zach Person, 18
"Nextdoor Neighbor Blues" by Gary Clark, Jr.
Wow, I did not expect him to sound like that and be that good! I didn't like the song, but I kind of like him. Very interesting.

Colette Lush, 19
"Who's Loving You" by Jackson 5
What's with this song? This is the second time we've seen it now. I can't decide if she's fun or annoying...she's kind of borderline. I really like her voice though. I didn't expect her to sound like that.

Avalon Young, 21
"XO" by Beyonce
She's a self-proclaimed tomboy, and she reminds me a lot of Kristen Stewart in the way she talks. Her voice is nothing like what I expected at all! She has a very unique and interesting tone. I loved her guitar playing to this song and her vocals were really cool. I think she has one of the most truly genuine voices we've heard.

Usen Isong, 23
"Not the Only One" by Sam Smith
He came in very jokey and I wasn't sure if he was going to be a joke when he sang or not. The first notes were very surprising. He can sing! I like the beginning a lot better than how he ended it. If he can take it seriously, he could be a lot of fun to have around later in the competition.

Jaci Butler, 19
"It Will Rain" by Bruno Mars
I can't say I love her look, but she's got a pretty good voice. She could work on her weird body movements while she's singing...that was a little bit annoying. That was an interesting slow/dramatic song choice for someone from an alternative rock band.

Stephany Negrete, 21
'Who's Loving You" by Jackson 5
Seriously, this song AGAIN?! That makes 3 that we've heard now. She is gorgeous. She has a nice voice, but it's nothing spectacular. Maybe with a different song. She didn't seem to be connected to what she was singing at all. I got nothing out of that. Boring and so predictable.

Manny Torres, 20
"This Love" by Marroon 5
Finally a great song choice! I love what he did with it! So cool! He's got a great voice! He has charisma and a very likable personality. The more he sang, the more I loved it! Great audition! Lots of potential with this guy! I totally agree with Keith's assessment that he had so much energy, but he kept it focused instead of letting it go all crazy all over the place. That was a good way of describing him. Last audition...I'm kind of sad! But they ended on a great note!

Noteworthy Singers Who Didn't Make the Cut

Cody Ostrenga, 23
"Proud Mary" by Tina Turner
How do you describe this guy? So he does rodeo riding where you shoot at targets, and he also belly dances? He's cute, but he definitely talks like he's gay. The judges have him running around like crazy, and yet I'm still thinking that he's going to be a good singer. But..no...he's wild and crazy just like his personality. His notes are all over the place.

Gina Naomi Baez, 27
"Lips are Moving" by Meghan Trainor
She's got such a cute dog! I think she has an OK voice, but it's definitely nothing special. She kind of came off as fake.

Justin Sullivan, 22
"Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)" by Kelly Clarkson
So, he's majorly obsessed with Kelly! It started out quite gimmicky (no thanks to Harry). However, he does have a nice voice. He had quite a few pitch issues though, unfortunately. He has potential, but they don't have enough time for him to get it.


Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites
And follow this blog with Bloglovin

No comments: