Thursday, January 14, 2016

American Idol, Ep. 15.4

Auditions #4: Denver & Little Rock (Does anyone else wonder why they aren't showing all of the auditions from each city as a group like they normally do? It seems odd to keep switching back and forth between cities.)

Guest Appearances: Kris Allen, Ruben Studdard, Clay Aiken

Going to Hollywood!

Amber Lynn, 28
"Unaware" by Allen Stone
Not impressed at all. Her voice was so quiet at times I wasn't sure if she was actually singing. Maybe it was just the song? Harry blamed James (see below) for rushing the song with his guitar playing. Wow, that's a first.

James Dawson VIII, 23
"Sun comes Up" by John Legend
Weird facial expressions and I can't tell if he's being serious or not. He was doing some really weird things with his voice. I can't even describe it. I liked his personality so I really wanted to like this, but I didn't really. Again, it could have been the song choice. I agree with Harry saying that his voice was a little affected. I think he might ust be good at faking that he can sing and that when it comes to Hollywood week, he'll completely bomb. We'll see. To be fair, he wasn't even going to audition but Amber (above) told him that he shouldn't just play guitar for her but he should audition too. He really sees himself as a guitar player and not a singer. On a side note, who does this guy remind me of? I can't put my finger on it...it's gonna bug me...

Chris "CJ" Johnson, 28
"You Make My Dreams Come True" by  Hall & Oates
Interesting song choice, but I like it! He's got a great voice. I liked his take on the song, it showed some originality and his personality. Easily the best of the show so far (but the bar wasn't set real high).

Ethan Kuntz, 15
"Stormy Monday" by Allman Brothers
He looks like he's 12! I'm not sure he's quite ready for this just yet, especially for this type of music. He's got a lot of potential, but he's not going to go too far in the competition, I don't think. I think a different song would have been better.

Mary Williams, 23
"Til I Make it on My Own" by Tammy Wynette
Beautiful country voice, but it was kind of a boring performance. I found it kind of funny that she looked so confused by what the judges were saying as they were critiquing her. I'm wondering if she really knows much about music. Interesting that Keith said no, and basically agreed with me - him being the resident country singer on the panel, and being the only one to say no.

Terrian, 18
"Happy" by Pharrell
She's really good. I love her positive outlook on life and the competition. The song might not have allowed her to show everything she can do. She could have sung it a little more "happy" to match the song, but it was still pretty good.

Thomas Stringfellow, 17
"Give Me Love" by Ed Sheeran
Thank you for not singing another stinking country song! Great song choice, and he has an amazing voice! I love it! The falsetto was great, but he did have a little weird squeaky thing that happened a little too often for me. But, overall, I really liked it. He definitely added his own personality to it.

Tywan "Tank" Jackson, 29
"Superstar" by Luther Vandross
So, first things first, his story about developing his own dance class to help him lose weight sounds very familiar. I'm pretty sure he tried out for So You Think You Can Dance. OK, so Googling it and...I'm shocked that I can't find anything to validate that! However, I found his dance studio page and it says he's had callbacks for America's Got Talent and X Factor. So...just about every other show except SYTYCD. No, I hate this song! He was OK, but the high note wasn't good. It wasn't smart to do the big dance routine right before singing...he was out of breath.

John Wayne Shultz, 27
"The Dance" by Garth Brooks
He lost out to Scotty McCreary for the last spot in Season 10. Wow, 2 Garth Brooks songs in one show...don't know if I can take it. He's got a good voice for country, but he falls into the category of "male country singer-itis", in that he sounds like every other male country singer out there. Boring. He's so cute, but I can't listen to too much of that.

Jordyn Simone, 15
"Who's Loving You" by Jackson 5
I thought she started out pretty good, but there were a few questionable things in the middle, and the high notes at the end were not that great. I can tell the judges are going to love her. She definitely doesn't look or sound 15.



Kassy Levels, 19
Didn't hear enough to judge.

Rhea Raj, 15
"How Will I Know" by Whitney Houston
I really liked her version of the song.

Jake Dillon, 22
"Danny's Song" by Kenny Loggins
I'm surprised he could even sing after Harry's hilarious display right before. I actually really like this guy! He's got a great voice! He picked an absolutely perfect song for his voice and for his personal story. I can't believe that Harry and Keith only thought it was "good". I really liked it! Considering who they've put through so far on this episode, they can't NOT send him through too. Come on Keith, it's up to you! Woohoo! Thank you Keith!

Ashley Lilinoe, 20
"Black Velvet" by Alannah Myles
What an interesting, and strange girl. I don't think I've ever seen someone so relaxed and carefree. I liked the beginning of the performance. The more she sang, the more affected her voice sounded. I still think it was a pretty good performance.

Andrew Nazarbekian, 20
"To Make You Feel My Love" by Adele
I wasn't quite sure what to expect with him. I think he's got a really good voice. His falsetto was really good. He had a nice vibrato, but he could maybe tone that back a little bit. Overall, I really enjoyed his performance. He ended with a really nice and kind of unexpected run.

Elvie Shane, 27
"House of the Rising Sun" by The Animals
We hear this song a lot, but he sang it in kind of a new way, and I loved it!!! This guy is good! I loved his guitar playing, and he really put on a great performance. He was really getting into it at the end. One of the best performances we've seen this season! And he has a great personal story to go along with it.

Noteworthy Singers Who Didn't Make the Cut

Emily Wears, 25
"Bring on the Rain" by JoDee Messina
She's gorgeous and she has a pretty voice. I think she might have been a little flat. Yep, getting more flat, and then the high note was not good. That's unfortunate.

Xavier Soller, 26
"Friends in Low Places" by Garth Brooks
Wow, did not expect him to sing a honky tonk country song. Those low notes were a struggle..wow. Too bad he can't sing because he's got a great personality.

Leann "Blue" McIsaac, 23
um...original song she wrote on the spot
Oh no, it's another Joey Cook! The hair, the clothes...just...no. I know they are just going to love this, but NO, NO, NO, please God NO! The lyrics were ridiculous, and the voice was nothing to be excited about. Maybe, just maybe if she hadn't sang like she was making up the song on the spot, she might have been OK. Thank you judges for not torturing us!

Leah Harbert, 24
"Chain of Fools" by Aretha Franklin
Wow, that was so painful. I don't even know how to describe that. I loved watching Harry's face as he was about to break, and then J. Lo kind of lost it. Harry told her that she should work with a vocal coach because there are a lot of unanswered questions. And Keith said she did a great job of hiding her Britney Spears influence. Ha!


Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites
And follow this blog with Bloglovin

No comments: