Wednesday, January 13, 2016

American Idol, Ep. 15.3

Auditions #3: Philadelphia
Guest Appearance: Clay Aiken


Going to Hollywood!

Gianna Isabella, 15
"House of the Rising Sun" by The Animals
Her mom is Brenda K. Starr, and this girl seems destined to be a star as well. Another incredible 15-year-old singer this season. She's got a lot of depth and she sounds so mature for her age. I love her cute, bubbly personality - she's so adorable.

Isaac Cole, 15
"Love Like Crazy" by Lee Brice
What do you know, another farmer...they're coming out of the woodwork this season apparently. Right off the bat, I hate his hairstyle. It's like young Justin Bieber all over again...I always hated that pulled forward look. He's got an OK voice. I wouldn't say I was blown away. But like Keith said, he had the line of the day. When he asked if he should do an a cappella song or his one with the guitar, and they responded with whichever one was going to show his voice the best -- he then said "I'm going to sing my a cappella song with the guitar." Ha! The judges said he wasn't quite ready - he said last year they didn't think Clark was ready either, and he's a quick learner. BUT - they all ended up saying "yes". I did like that Harry told him that he's not from the south and doesn't speak with a twang, so he shouldn't try to sing with one, he should be himself. Yes!

Sara Sturn, 17
"Lips are Moving" by Meghan Trainor
I do not think she is quite ready. There were some good things happening, but it seemed pretty "one-note". She kind of just sang loud through the whole song, and the song didn't really seem to go anywhere. I really wanted to like this, and it wasn't bad, but I just wasn't moved or excited by it.

Jenn Bosil, 23
"Radioactive" by Imagine Dragons
Wow, this girl is bonkers...not quite sure how to take her. She came in so quirky and weird and then as soon as she started to play the piano, she got so serious. I loved the arrangement of the song. I liked her voice a lot, except the more she sang, the squeakier her voice got and the breaks that were kind of endearing and interesting at the beginning started to get a little nails on the chalkboard. I think she could easily get annoying to hear week after week, BUT if she can keep the vocal breaks in her voice to a minimum, she could actually be really good.

Harrison Cohen, 17
"No Time" - original song
I wasn't so sure if he was going to be good or a joke. I really love the guitar music to this song! It's so catchy! His voice was surprising! I liked a lot about that! I actually really loved this song! I would totally buy that! I could totally hear something like that on the radio.

John Arthur Greene, 27
"Somebody Like You" by Keith Urban
Oh my gosh, this guy has the saddest story! He accidentally shot and killed his brother when he was 8 and his brother was 5, when they were playing hide-and-seek. Wow. He grew up on a farm and both of his parents were pastors. He sang a country song and he said he's actually on Broadway right now. Interesting. I think he had an OK voice, but he was really rushing the song. Honestly, as much as I wanted to like it, I would say it was pretty mediocre, even for country. Harry said no, but J. Lo and Keith both said yes to see what else he can do.

Noteworthy Singers Who Didn't Make the Cut

Derek Huffman, 21
"Angel" by Shaggy
So he brought his own boom box and played his music! I actually really liked his voice. It was maybe a little superficial and amateur, but I think he can actually sing. He might not have been taking the audition too seriously, and I think that hurt him. They did appreciate his creativity and being the first one to bring his own music - it was like karaoke!

Ellis Banks, 25
"Born This Way" by Lady Gaga
Just when you think he's going to be a serious singer with some sort of sad backstory, he walks in with a shiny banana hammock, robe and a "Jesus" headpiece that looks kind of like something Rick James would wear. And the judges lucked out because he made one for each of them! So, needless to say, this audition was going nowhere. The song was appropriate, though.



Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites
And follow this blog with Bloglovin

No comments: