Wednesday, January 20, 2016

American Idol, Ep. 15.5

Auditions #5
Guest Appearances: Ruben Studdard, Clay Aiken, Kris Allen, Taylor Hicks, Nick Fradiani, Lee DeWyze

We're already in the final week of auditions! This season is going by too quickly! I still haven't heard anyone who stood out as an obvious winner. I've seen a lot of good singers, but I don't know that I've seen the one yet. Like when Phillip Phillips and Caleb Johnson auditioned...I just knew. I sure hope someone this week stands out, because I need to make a good pick for winner this season to walk away with the final "Queen of the Idol Picks" trophy!

Going to Hollywood!

Miranda "Poh" Scott, 17
"Fairytale" by Sara Bareilles
Her sister is Shi from last season. Let's just say her personality doesn't seem to be near as annoying as her sister, and I don't really think they look that much alike. Her voice was interesting. She sounded like she had a cold...I'm not sure if she actually did or if her voice is just a little scratchy. I kind of liked it, but I don't know that I was that impressed with her. Oh, and her nickname, "Poh"...yeah she got that because Poh was her favorite tellytubby growing up. Umm...OK.

Amelia Eisenhower, 15
"Many Rivers" by Annie Lennox
Her opening package with her talking about her katana really made me wonder if she was going to be any good or not. Then she came in with a fiddle and I was sure she was going to be a joke. However, I was pleasantly surprised by her very lovely voice. I don't know how to describe her voice, other than "straight"...she just sang, without any frilly, fancy notes or quirks. I would have liked to hear her on a song that I've heard before to get a real sense for her voice, but it was a good audition. Maybe not all that memorable, though.

Joy Dove, 21
"Jumbalaya"
Her personality is huge! I did not care for the song...at all. I don't think it showed us that she can sing at all. I did not think she was as great as the judges did. So yeah, she sang loud, but I don't really think what she did was great singing.

Mackenzie Bourg, 23
Mackenzie on Season 3 of The Voice
Medley of the Coaches - "Stupid Boy" by Keith Urban / "Come by Me" by Harry Connick, Jr. / "Love Don't Cost a Thing" by Jennifer Lopez
OK, so I did NOT recognize Mackenzie at all...until his name popped up on the screen (same glasses, different hair)! Mackenzie Bourg!!!!! He was on The Voice several seasons ago, and I absolutely loved him!!!! I was so bummed when he was eliminated, and I thought he was sent home way too soon (but there were so many good singers in his season). I can't believe he's back! I'm so excited! He is very original and that showed through with his choice to do his own version of a medley of songs from each of judges...so clever! He made J. Lo's song really his own and really changed that song the most. It was absolutely beautiful and I'm in love with him and his voice again! So, he didn't win The Voice, but...with the caliber of singers on The Voice being higher than American Idol...I think he could EASILY win Idol! I'm so excited!!!   So...I said at the top of this blog that I haven't heard the winner yet...well...it could just be Mackenzie!
Note: I actually guessed it was Season 3 of The Voice...and yep, it was Season 3...I'm just that good. And he was so memorable to me that I could pinpoint the last time I saw him. I did have to look up when he was eliminated, and it was on the first live show.

Jenna Renae, 23
She has a nice voice, but it's nothing we've never heard before. I think she had some flat notes. Good, but not great, so I don't think she'll go very far.

Adam Lasher, 28
Jimmy Fallon recreating Adam's look
"Knockin' on Heaven's Door" by Bob Dylan
OMG! OMG! OMG! As soon as he said they might remember him and that he had a headband last time...I instantly knew who he was! I didn't remember his name, but I remembered that I loved him and I was devastated when he was eliminated last season. I had high hopes of him making it far, and he didn't even make it to the top 24. In case you don't remember his name either, he was the guy who was featured on The Tonight Show in one of Jimmy Fallon's skits where people send him pictures of people who look like him. He was a little rough around the edges looks-wise. But now? Holy crap is he hot! He's clean shaven, his hair is shorter, he's wearing a very handsome suit, and he is incredibly hot! So now, he's got the voice AND the looks.
Adam now - MUCH improved, no?
Uh-oh! Mackenzie just got some competition! I'm so excited he came back! I wish he would have done a different song, but I still love him. Clearly they saved some of the best ones for the last week of auditions!

Another fun fact about Adam that I totally forgot, is that he is Carlos Santana's nephew!


Emily Brooke, 16
"Careless" by RaeLynn
I remember her a little bit from last season. She has a very strong country voice. She's got a little bit of uniqueness in her voice that kind of separates her from the same sound of a lot of other female country singers.


Noteworthy Singers Who Didn't Make the Cut

Andrew and Aaron Birdwell, 27, 
Another twin audition failure. I have no idea what they were singing. It was just bad.

Mario Bonds, 27
"Inseparable" by Natalie Cole
Ooh, I hate this song! You want to root for him because he's blind and has a great personality, but I didn't love his voice. He can definitely sing, but I'm not a fan of his style at all. He reminds me a lot of Blessing Offor from The Voice, Season 7. I'm actually stunned that the judges didn't put him through. They usually eat this stuff up with a spoon and totally love the loud and soulful singing. I do feel bad for him, though, because you could tell that he wanted it so badly. And to see him walked out by his guide and he was sobbing. So sad!


Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites
And follow this blog with Bloglovin

No comments: