Thursday, January 7, 2016

American Idol, Ep. 15.2

Auditions #2: San Francisco and Little Rock
Former Idol Guest Appearances: Kris Allen, Lee DeWyze

Going to Hollywood!

Cameron Richard, 15
"Give Me Love" by Ed Sheeran
Great story, great song, serious talent! Another talented young one! His voice is a little too in his throat, but he's got skills.

Daniel Farmer, 24
"How Does it Feel?" by D'Angelo
He's a little too confident in himself. He's got a decent voice, but I don't care for the song. The body grinding toward J. Lo was a bit much. His falsetto was a little bit too screamy for me and the runs were a little bit too all over the place.


Dalton Rapattoni, 19
"Phantom of the Opera"
Just by looks, you might be skeptical - he looks a little bit like an old school Billie Joe Armstrong from Green Day, with the guyliner and spiky blonde hair. "Phantom of the Opera" was a very, very interesting song choice, but man, that was so good! And he works with kids in a School of Rock after school program...how cool is that?! I love this kid!!! And again, I'm right with the judges, because they said he had a Green Day vibe after he left the room. Hilarious - Harry said he was pretty!

La'Porsha Renae, 22
"Creep" by Radiohead
Her song choice was surprising - I had her pegged for a big diva number (mainly because her hair is gigantic). I love this song, but unfortunately, she turned it into a big diva number. And she suffers from the all-too-common case of the "runs". The runs were way too much for me. She nailed the notes, so she had that going for her, but she's going to have to tone it down a few notches. She also suffered from the "I must sing loud through 90% of the song", which turned into more shouting than singing. I do respect her doing something new and interesting with a song everyone knows, but I just didn't love it. It was good, but definitely not a favorite.

Trent Harmon, 24
"Unaware" by Allen Stone
I didn't know this song, it was really different. I, like the judges, expected him to sing country - since he lives on a farm, has a southern accent, and is playing a guitar - but he sang R&B. He's got a really good voice. I can't say I loved it, but he's cute, and he's got some potential.

Brook Sample, 28
"Cold Day in July" by Dixie Chicks
This is such a great song! One of my favorite Dixie Chicks. You could really see and hear her nerves...and then she started forgetting the words. There were some nice moments, but she seemed so unsure of herself. I'm a little surprised she made it through. She's also a little unpredictable, as she couldn't get through ANY of her interviews, and when she would mess up, the bleep button came out. Yikes...not sure I'm a fan.

Olivia Rox, 16
"When I Was Your Man" by Bruno Mars
Ooh, I really like her! She reminds me a little bit of Jax from last season. Her personality, her hair, and even her jacket (and her last name even looks/sounds like Jax!). She's got a really cool, sweet personality and a seriously beautiful voice! You know Harry had to love her because she played the piano. The more she sang, the more I loved it! I wish she could have done the whole song! I can't believe that she's only 16!

Jessica Clark, 23
We didn't see much of her. She sounded decent, now a "wow"

Ameet Kanon, 18
"Mercy" by Duffy
Another one we didn't see much of, but she can sing!

Kayla Mickelsen, 18
Her voice reminds me of someone...who is it?! I really liked it, but I think she could be one of those that I like her audition, but then every song sounds the same, and I end up being annoyed.

Melanie Tierce, 21
Beautiful voice! Only a few words in and Harry was like "It's a yes for me". She brought Keith to tears! It didn't quite move me that much, and I wouldn't say it was one of the best auditions ever. It was pretty great, but it was not THE best. The best part was at the beginning when Harry complimented her beautiful eyes. She quickly said "my mom gave them to me". Cute! Even cuter, without missing a beat, Keith deadpans "how does she see?". It slipped in and no one really paid much attention, but Keith couldn't help but laugh at his own joke. It just kept getting funnier the longer he continued to be the only one laughing at it!

Malie Delgado, 20
"Chariot" by Gretchen Wilson
A good balance of personality and great voice. She's really good. She was a little rushed, but her vocals were good.

Brandyn Burnette, 26
"Lost" - an original
Holy crap...I'm in love with his voice! What a great original song. So much passion and emotion. Great composure as well, as Harry (who decided to have Ryan judge for him) snuck up behind him playing piano and slowly laid his head on his shoulder and put his arms around him! That was crazy! He kept going like a pro. And does anyone else think he looks a lot like Bruno Mars?

Kyrsti Jewel, 15
"Mama Knows Best" by Jessie J
What a humungous voice for a 15-year-old! It was a bit too shouty and screamy, but I think if she could tone it down, she actually has a great voice.

Tristan McIntosh, 15
"Why Baby Why" by Mickey Guyton
Oh my....so talented! She has a stunning voice!! I don't know the song, but she had me captivated! I can't believe she is only 15. Her voice sounds so mature and polished. One of my favorites of the night! And then...was not expecting the surprise at the end! Her mother, who was overseas in the military actually showed up to surprise her right after she was done singing! Wow! How special!

Noteworthy Singers Who Didn't Make the Cut

Maddie McAlister, 16
"Cowboy Cassanova" by Carrie Underwood
OK, the live chicken was really unnecessary. She had a decent voice, but there was a very bad note at the end. She had more passion talking about her chicken than she did when she was singing.

Sarah Hayes, 26
"Hero" by Bonnie Tyler / "Invincible"
Her personality is so off-putting. She kept talking about how great she is, and how she's going to kill it. She walked in and seemed a little (or a lot) drunk. She then proceeded to completely forget the words. She then changed to "Invincible", and it was so bad. She kept messing up and then apologizing and stopping. Harry said it was a lack of focus - he actually blamed the judges because they were having fun before and may have messed her up. I can't believe that! Harry! He said yes because there were enough little pieces that made him believe she had potential. THANKFULLY J. Lo and Keith said there wasn't enough to say yes because clearly she wasn't ready emotionally or with enough talent. When she got cut she was emotional, but she sure didn't seem too invested when it really mattered. Surprising that Harry actually wanted to give her a chance.


Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites
And follow this blog with Bloglovin

No comments: