Wednesday, January 15, 2014

American Idol, Ep. 13.1

I think Season 13 is going to be a lucky one for American Idol. Lots of changes in store for this season: new judges, new mentor, new "Rush" week (to replace Hollywood week), a new thing called "the chamber", new/updated song catalog, and more! So let's get this party started!

Boston & Austin Auditions

Received Golden Tickets (46):

Marialle Sellers, 17 (not sure if her name is spelled right, they didn't put it on the screen)
Girl playing a guitar...very cool. Loved her rendition of Bruno Mars's "Grenade". Totally awesome! I like her look and her style. Wow, first audition we see, and I...love...her!

Troy Durden, 29
It's never good to start out with twerking. And then he comes with "Over the Rainbow", and it was no joke! It wasn't the best thing I've ever heard, but it wasn't a complete mess. The remix to the twerking, definitely didn't do it for me.

Sam Woolf, 17
Love the song choice of Ed Sheeran's "Lego House". With the guitar, it was so good! He was a little nervous, but he had great pitch. Keith picked up on how fast he did the words, and I noticed that, too.

Ethan Thompson, 23
Another great guy with a guitar. Loved the high pitch notes! Great voice, and I loved his tone.

Lindsey Pedicone, 18
She has a very unique voice, and a very cool, laid back vibe.

Jillian Jensen, 20
I remember this girl..I don't remember if she auditioned for Idol before, or if it was maybe X Factor. I'm thinking she was the girl who was bullied and really had a connection with Demi. Could be wrong, but I think that was her. Either way, I really liked it.
Update: I was right...she was on Season 2 of X Factor

Stephanie Hanvey, 16

Very talented for 16. I thought they cut her off a little quick and then were a little on the fence with her. I think they should have let her sing a little more. I thought she was better than they gave her credit for. But they decided to give her a chance.

Morgan Deplitch, 15
Whoa...15! She KILLED "Paris" by Grace Potter and the Nocturnals. I loved it! She started out really strong at the beginning, but the notes faded a little at the end when she started to run out of air.

Austin Percario, 17
He performed an almost flawless "Titanium". That song gets done a lot these days, but this was spectacular. His falsetto on "titanium" could be a little bit better...that part was a little bit of a letdown because the rest of it was so good.

Kaitlyn Jackson, 15
Wow, what a story, and a really decent original song. Very pretty voice.

Keith London, 21
Very interesting rendition of Katy Perry's "Roar". It was a little country, and very cool. He messed up the beginning and had to start over, but that didn't matter because the rest of it was really awesome. I loved the changes he made to the song. For some reason, Harry wasn't feeling it, but the other two were.

Shanon Wilson, 24
Nothing special here. Decent, but not memorable in the least. He did hit some of the highest notes I've ever heard a man sing. (Other than him playing football with Ryan Seacrest).

Stephanie Petronelli, 22
Yes, she practiced too much and boy was her voice raspy and crackly. Another try at "Paris". I think she could have nailed it if she didn't sound like she smoked a pack a day. But, she managed to squeak through. I, like Harry wonder how she's going to be able to sustain a whole season full of singing.

Savion Wright, 21
Really cool guy, and another cool original song. I love all the guitars! Wow, he was amazing! So cool!

Terrica Curry, 20
She has a really bold and strong voice.

Justin Tira, 24
Whoa...loved him! Loved his version of Maroon 5's "This Love". Really, really cool. Really, really good.

Shelby Comey, 15
Interesting yodel. County suits her very well. Not my cup o' tea, but I'm sure a lot of people will like her.

Madelyn Patterson, 22
She overdid it a little in a couple places, but she's got a pretty decent voice. Not the best I've heard so far, but not bad. It was good to hear her sing soft as well as blast it.

Viviana Villalon, 19
"Love Somebody" on the ukulele was definitely an interesting choice. I can't say I really loved her voice all that much, but I do like that she's unique.

Savannah Young, 17
We've heard this stripped down version of "Toxic" by Britney Spears so many times now that it's not original and it's not surprising in the least to hear it sung that way. Still, it was very good.

Ben Boone, 22
Really liked him! I loved his version of the song done with the guitar. Great voice, great tone.

Malcolm Allen, 21
Loved his air guitar (because he hasn't learned to play a real one yet). He didn't need it because dude can sing! His pitch was incredible! And those runs! And he's funny!

Munfarid Zaidi, 19
Love this dude! From Texas, born in Pakistan...what a combination. Then he sings Adele! He has such an interesting look, and his voice definitely doesn't match his look. And then can we just talk about Harry picking him up and holding him like a baby while he sang. That was just classic. I laughed so hard! But in all seriousness, he was really good! He has a huge range!

Good, but Not Good Enough:

Taylor Hildack, 19
She pulled off a really good Carrie Underwood, but there was just a little something missing. She just missed the notes a little toward the end. J. Lo said yes, but the boys said no.

Jacqueline Verna, 18
We didn't see much of her, but I was not blown away at all.

Durann Cree, 17
She's really cute, and I think she did a pretty good job. I wasn't blown away.

Just For Laughs:

James Earl, 22
Oh my goodness. Hilarious dude...couldn't understand a word he said. He talked with a low voice but then sang like a 13-year-old Michael Jackson. Of course he would "sing" an original song...it's one of those auditions that you just go "what was that?" at the end.

Sam Atherton, 23
Oh my this guy is a few bricks short of a load. He's funny though, and boy did Keith and Harry have fun with him. He sang an original, and it was pretty darn boring and bad. And you have to love his attitude of "I'm so good I don't practice any more."

Rolando Guerrero, 21
Poor guy was so star struck by J. Lo. So emotional. Not good.

The Forgotten:

Jacob Portis
He's dressed like the 3 Amigos! And, he's pretty cute! He had fun with the judges...but we never got to see (hear) him sing! What's up with that?! I want to know if he made it or not!

I have so many thoughts about this first episode and what the season might hold, so I'm going to make a separate post. Read it here.

Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites
And follow this blog with Bloglovin

No comments: