Friday, January 16, 2015

American Idol, Ep. 14.3 & 14.4

Auditions, Part 3: Kansas City

Going to Hollywood

Ron Wilson, 24 (aka "Big Ron" aka "Big Sexy")
Big personality, not much of a voice...I love that Keith and Harry just got up and walked out of the room together since he was clearly only singing to J. Lo. He wasn't bad, but absolutely nothing special about him at all. And then they all give him a "yes"? The whole thing was more of a joke than anything. He seems like the kind of contestant that we will find out has some sort of criminal past or is somehow ineligible to continue.

Ashley Lusk, 15
She's really pretty, and has a really pretty voice. She does not look 15!

Josh Sanders, 26
He reminds me of someone, but I can't think who. If he would cut off all his hair, I might be able to figure it out. I don't care for the long hair, but I do like his voice.

Casey Thrasher, 23
Definitely remember him from last season! I was a fan last season, and he didn't disappoint this season either.

Joey Cook, 23
Blue hair (and a really fake, bad dye job at that), accordion and a really strange voice. Her accordion playing is so annoying...it totally takes away from her voice. I probably wouldn't like her voice without it, but it definitely doesn't help. To me, this is a joke, but the judges are just in love with her for some reason. Not a fan...at all.

Alexis Gomez, 22
She has a really interesting, kind of hippie style. She is barefoot, has braids on one side of her hair. She is not what you would really think of when you think of country. I really liked her voice. Fun fact, she's from Dayton, OH.

Anton Bushner, 19
Black kid with jeans, cowboy boots and cowboy hat, and he is so tall and skinny,..nothing but skin and bones! The opposite of what you would think of to sing something so country. It just happens to be one of Keith's songs. I have to admit that I actually kind of like it. You really don't expect him to have that country twang. He almost had Keith in tears!

Stephanie Gummelt, 18
She has the most annoying speaking voice ever! She took a risk by performing an original song. I have to admit that it was actually pretty good, and I kind of liked her voice. In another first for the show, her mom was able to watch the entire audition on the TV screen outside, with sound even!

Ellen Peterson, 22
She is so adorable, and she's playing a pink banjo! She is definitely country, but I actually enjoyed her performance. She has an amazing voice, and a really good yodel. The best part of the audition, though, by far, was Keith and Harry singing The Beverly Hillbillies theme song with her playing the banjo...hilarious!

Kohlton Pascal, 21
Another guy with long hair who really needs a haircut. He reminds me of last season's winner, Caleb Johnson. He also took a risk with an original song. I did not expect that voice to come out of him, especially after hearing him speak. His voice is so deep and gravely. I definitely didn't love his song, but I think he has potential. He also needs a wardrobe makeover...no more sweatshirt, shorts and cowboy boots!

New York

So excited to see Adam Lambert!!! I love him, and I know he's going to have a lot of great feedback. He did an excellent job as a mentor early on in the competition. He's filling in for Keith for the day.

Sal Valetinetti, 19
There's no way this guy is only 19. Listen to that New York accent, wow. He sounds like he belongs in the mob. Good voice, but obviously singing Sinatra, it's not my style at all. And hey, he walked out with $100 from Harry for knowing the original title of the song "Fly Me To The Moon".  Harry surprisingly says no even though he said that Harry sings the same stuff and his albums sell. What a hoot!

J. None, 24
I really like him! Even if he did bring a teddy bear to the audition. His voice is so smooth, and I love that somebody pulled out a little "My Prerogative" by Bobby Brown. Very cool. He's very likable. Harry was having too much fun playing with the teddy bear during the audition...too funny!

Jax, 18
She has a unique voice and sounds much more mature than 18. I like the unique twist she did on the song. It took me awhile to figure out what song she was singing. She has a very pretty vibrato that she used very well. It wasn't too much or overdone, it was just nice and subtle.

Najah Lewis, 20
Very interesting version of this song. I think I like her voice, but I'm kind of on the fence. It's different and not like many other people.

Tion Phipps, 20
I really love his voice. He sounds a lot like Bruno Mars.

James Killian Dunn, 21
What a high falsetto. I wish he wouldn't have sung the whole song like that, but he does have a good voice.

Shi Scott, 19
Very different voice. It could get annoying after awhile I think. She doesn't have a lot of experience and it shows because she looked so awkward in front of them.

Eric Lopez, 19
Big risk singing a Queen song in front of Adam, the new lead singer of Queen. He's Puerto Rican, but boy, he sure doesn't look like it. He had a couple of moments, but overall, I just don't think it was anywhere good enough. He was almost a no, but he persuaded Adam to give him a yes.

Maddie Walker, 16
Pretty voice, but not very dynamic.

Courtney Zahn, 21
Very cute, and a great voice. She had a lot of energy, and I loved her song choice.

Jackie Nese, 17
Very strong voice, but she sounded kind of rehearsed and not very natural. She didn't have a lot of  connection to the song, I felt like.

Quaasim Middleton, 18
Kind of strange dude, but he's pretty funny. He's actually pretty good. He had a decent voice, and he added in some comedy, so it definitely was entertaining.

Adam Ezegelian, 20
That is some frizzy mop on his head...yikes. He compares himself to Adam Lambert...um, no. Oh man, he's got some voice. He can do so much with it. He's got some growl, and then a high squeal. Wow, I can't decide if it's really good, or if it's a little too gimmicky. And then Adam asks him to do something else and he does Jason Mraz, and he's totally believable. This guy might just be the real deal!

Katherine Winston, 18
I love her already because she's singing one of my favorite songs from the show Nashville. She did it very well...loved it!

Travis Finlay, 20
Great song choice, and man does he have a beautiful voice! I love this guy! Beautiful. I usually don't tend to like voices that are a little bit more in the lower register, but there was something really great about his voice. He also did get up a little bit higher, and it was really nice.

Nick Fradiani, 28
OK, he is freakin' amazing! I could tell just by the way he played the guitar, even before he started singing that he was going to be really, really good. I loved the tone of his voice. I just loved everything about it. It's too bad his girlfriend's version of The Cup Song just didn't quite match up. She was good, but probably not the best choice to show off her sweet voice.

"Hollywood" Anderson, 22
He came in really jokey, but then he sang a beautiful original song, that was totally unexpected. I didn't expect him to be that good, and I have to admit, I really liked his original song. It was really beautiful. J. Lo said she really wanted to record the song. The song was so catchy, that I even started humming along with it.


Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites
And follow this blog with Bloglovin

No comments: