Monday, December 8, 2014

The Voice, Ep. 7.22

I can't believe we are at the Semi-Finals already! 5 great singers left...all guys, can you believe it?!

Tonight there's 2 rounds: one song the coaches pick and the other the singers pick as a hometown dedication.

Team Adam

Damien
"She's Out of My Life" by Michael Jackson (Adam's Pick)
Sorry, Michael Jackson fans, I only know this song as one of 98°'s songs. This was a good pick for him. It's right in his wheelhouse, and allows him to get really emotional, which is what he does best. I don't know how he can do that night after night being so emotionally invested in the song, to the point where he has tears in his eyes. Incredible, and absolutely beautiful.

"I Don't Want to Wait" by Paula Cole (Damien's Pick)
What a strange song choice. I never in a million years would I have ever guessed him to pick this song. Gotta say, I wasn't a fan of the song before, and I definitely didn't care for his version...at all. It was kind of nice to hear him do something more upbeat, instead of the sad and emotional stuff he usually does, but this was not the right song. I don't even think his vocals were that good on it...he sounded off and strained in a lot of places. That was disappointing.

 Matt McAndrew
"Make It Rain" by Ed Sheeran (Adam's Pick)
Love this song...great pick Adam! Oh, that voice! If we thought he was amazeballs before...he just took it to a whole 'nother level! Seriously...holy crap dude! I love that he has so many dynamics within one song. He goes from soft and emotional, to full out screaming...but the good kind of screaming...the kind of screaming that is still singing, not the scream-scream kind. Winner winner, chicken dinner! Can we just call it now, please?!

"I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" by U2 (Matt's Pick)
Another great song for him...but then again, what can't he sing amazingly? That said, I think even this hugely popular song might be a little beneath him. I don't think it necessarily showed off just how good he can be...but he proves that every week, so I think he can afford to have a "freebie" now an then. The crowd sure loved it, that's for sure.

Chris Jamison 
"Sugar" by Maroon 5 (Adam's Pick)
So, I love Maroon 5, and I love Chris, so of course this is going to be amazing. I don't know how he ended up in the bottom last week...he's just so good! That falsetto is ridiculous! He's got such a well-rounded full voice, but he can go so high with that falsetto. He might go to the falsetto more than I would like, and that would be my only criticism. This was kind of a risk because most people probably haven't heard this song, since Maroon 5 hasn't released it yet. So, the only way you would know it is if you have their latest album...which I do, of course.

"When I Was Your Man" by Bruno Mars (Chris's Pick)
This is the best pick by a singer, by far! So perfect for him! This is the stuff I love him singing the best. The first song was good, but this was epic! Exactly what he needed at this stage of the competition and to close out the show. It's a popular song, by a popular artist, so it's going to connect with a lot of people. He totally did it justice and then some. His voice sounded so great, and then that falsetto! He had everyone, Adam included, in a trance. He so deserves to make it to the next round. Come on and vote for this guy people!

Team Blake

Craig Wayne Boyd
"Working Man Blues" by Merle Haggard (Blake's Pick)
Oh boy...we really stepped into the honky-tonk with this one. Not my favorite Blake...you're lucky I like Craig, because this was pretty painful to listen to genre-wise. He definitely rocked it out, that's for sure. I just don't see this as something he would actually record. His voice is too good for a cheesy country song like this. He showed that off with that crazy loud rockin' yell at the end...that was cool.

"The Old Rugged Cross" by Alan Jackson (Craig's Pick)
Now, this is much more his style, I think. I love when he lets his voice just sound amazing, and doesn't let the music overpower him. This was beautiful and so powerful. He sang just as loud, if not louder, on this song than he did on the first one! Crazy!

Team Gwen

Taylor John Williams
"Falling Slowly" by The Swell Season (Gwen's Pick)
The first time I heard this song, I really liked it. But then literally someone has done it every season on like every reality singing competition, and I'm way over this song now. I can't listen to it any more. Now Taylor does it, and I thought he might do really well with it. BUT, the beginning of the song was so off! His low notes were atrocious! I cringed several times...it was bad. Once he got to the falsetto part it was much better. But then back to the low notes of the verses, and he just couldn't land them. Low notes aside, the majority of the performance was pretty good, but pretty boring. I kind of wish that he would have changed up the song a little bit to make it not sound like every other version of the song that I've heard...and no, Pharrell, I don't think he made it his own (that just means that Pharrell must not know the original). And hey, he didn't wear a hat or a headband, so there's something to be positive about!

"Blank Space" by Taylor Swift (Taylor's Pick)
I am so intrigued to see what he does with this song. This isn't the Taylor song I was thinking he would pick when they said he was doing Taylor Swift. I hoped for better...it was OK, but I think he could have done more with it. The lyrics are kind of dark, but Taylor (Swift, that is), makes it a little more light-hearted. Taylor (John Williams, that is) chose to do it darker than the original...which is what he kind of has been known for doing in the competition.

Team Pharrell
Sorry, Pharrell...nobody left :(

Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites
And follow this blog with Bloglovin

No comments: