Tuesday, December 1, 2015

The Voice, Ep. 9.20 & 9.21

Top 10

Team Adam

Shelby Brown
"Go Rest High On That Mountain" by Vince Gill
The low notes at the beginning were a little bit of a struggle (just like the lyrics said). Her long held-out notes were really strong. She had a personal connection to the song (her grandfather loved Vince Gill and the song was played at his memorial), and you could feel that from her. It also hit home for me, having just lost my grandfather. Very nice performance.
My Score: A-

Amy Vachal
"Bye, Bye, Bye" by *NSYNC
I'm definitely not sure how I feel about this. I, of course, grew up being a huge *NSYNC fan. I'm wondering how she's going to change this up. What is this? Am I actually starting to become an Amy fan? Crazy! Clearly goes to show that song choice is everything! When she was singing old elevator-music-style songs, she was completely snoozeworthy. Now that she's singing contemporary hits in her own way, they are becoming chart-toppers on iTunes. And they're actually cool and interesting. I liked this even more than what she did to Taylor Swift's "Blank Space" last week. This was such a different version, but it was clearly her style. Wow.
My Score: A

Jordan Smith
"Hallelujah" by Leonard Cohen
I have been waiting for him to sing this song! I've said it before, and I'll say it again: it doesn't matter how many times I hear this song by so many different artists, year after year, I just absolutely love it. Do I even have to say that Jordan was amazing? If you didn't get chills during this, you must be dead inside and/or deaf. Seriously.
My Score: A+

Team Blake

Emily Ann Roberts
"She's Got You" by Patsy Cline
The more I hear Emily, the more I like her. Country or not, this girl can sing. Her tone is simply gorgeous! Usually, a country twang in the voice is about like nails on a chalkboard. But with Emily, the twang isn't forced and it just blends into the song so well. This was a song I didn't know, but she sang it beautifully, as usual.
My Score: A

Zach Seabaugh
"Crazy Little Thing Called Love" by Queen
Zach has been letting me down in the last few weeks. This song seems like a better fit for him. It was going great until the band/back-up vocals came in...that was just plain weird and awkward. I wondered if he would bring back the Elvis hips that he introduced to us a few weeks back, and sure enough, they were back in full swing (pun intended). He actually stayed pretty much in tune for the whole song. I think this is probably my favorite performance of his. Part of that has to do with the song choice -- it wasn't country, and it was a pretty well-known song. I like that he kind of put his own little spin on it. The production on this was something you'd see on a finale! They really went all-out and he performed the heck out of it all over the stage. Good for him!
My Score: A

Barrett Baber
"I'd Just Love to Lay You Down" by Conway Twitty
Seriously, what scrap heap are they pulling some of these ancient, unknown (to me) songs? Surprisingly, this wasn't a bad performance. His vocals were better this week. It was nice to see him just doing something on a chair with his guitar. Definitely one of his better performances.
My Score: A-

Team Gwen


Jeffery Austin
"Jealous" by Labrinth
Why does he have to keep singing songs I've never heard before. For some reason, I have such a hard time connecting to him and the song when I'm not familiar with it. I liked the lyrics of this song, but I didn't care for the song itself. Of course, his vocals were flawless, with the exception of a slightly questionable falsetto at the end. I did start to like the song more as it went on. The ending was awesome.
My Score: A

Braiden Sunshine
"Radioactive" by Imagine Dragons
Great song, we'll see if he can do it justice. First off, we have yet another new hairstyle for Braiden. It's much shorter on the sides and the top is curly. He's wearing his glasses again, and just with a couple small changes he looks completely different! As for the song, I will say it was a valiant effort, but I'm not sure it worked. The verses were pretty good, but he didn't really nail the high notes in the ramp up to the chorus. I really wanted to love this, but it wasn't his best performance. The end was a little too strained.
My Score: B-

Korin Bukowski
"Same Old Love" by Selena Gomez
This is one of my favorite songs right now. I'm not sure she will be able to give the playfulness and sassiness that the song calls for. I'm so glad to see she ditched the blonde hair. Doing so brought her back to the Korin we knew early on. I have to say, I think this is by far her best performance! She did a great job capturing the feel of the song. She seemed more comfortable than ever and the confidence showed. Vocally, she was pitch-perfect. She brought some grit and angst which was great to see, and it didn't feel forced or fake. I really hope she stays after this performance! Too bad the Browns game forced me to miss the live performance, or I would have definitely voted for her!
My Score: A+

Team Pharrell

Madi Davis
"Girls Just Want To Have Fun" by Cyndi Lauper
Oh heavens, no...just no. No one is going to have fun to this song, sung so sadly. Another mistake in this performance was the horrible saxophone! The sax is like my least favorite instrument, and it really added to the painfulness of this song. The violins were a nice touch, but oh, how I hated the saxophone interruptions. It reminds me of a couple years back when American Idol for some ungodly reason decided to use a saxophone player on stage for like every performance. I can't tell you how many songs that ruined for me. Her vocals weren't that bad, but the slow, painful arrangement and the annoying saxophone really ruined it. I'm hoping for a clean sweep and a total wipeout of Pharrell's team.
My Score: C

Predictions

Once again, the iTunes results are so interesting. While people like Jordan and Jeffrey are at the top of the top 10, it is quite surprising that Braiden is way, way, way, way at the bottom at 113! Korin was the next lowest at 27! Another shocker this week is that Madi was at #4! Who in their right mind downloaded her very awful version of "Girls Just Want To Have Fun"? All of the top 10 singers made it into the top 10, and only 3 didn't...so Zach, Korin, and Braiden are the likeliest to be at the bottom and in trouble.

Should be bottom 2: Braiden and Madi
Should go home: Madi

Will be bottom 2: Korin and Braiden
Will go home: Korin

Results

Bottom 2: Korin and Braiden (both Team Gwen)
Korin sang "Try" by Colbie Callait. It was beautiful, BUT, and this is a BIG "BUT"...she forgot half of the song! She hummed, she stopped, it was basically pretty embarrassing and quite a shame. She has saved herself twice in a row, and she really did a nice job with the song...it is just very unfortunate that she really, really messed up the lyrics. This might just make people to vote even harder to save her.

Braiden sang "Harder to Breathe" by Maroon 5. Nice song choice! It's rock, it's fairly current, it's fun and most people know it. For the most part, he did a good job. He flubbed the words in the middle, but not nearly as badly as Korin did.

This is going to be close, I think. Braiden has survived being very low in the iTunes results...which means people were voting to save him but not buying his songs. The viewer votes were combatting the singers who got their numbers multiplied by ending up in the top 10. Korin being in the bottom for the 3rd time doesn't really bode well for her. However, people might feel sorry for her, especially since she had a really unfortunate performance. I actually think Korin could be saved again. At the break, Braiden was up 51% to 49%...wow...told you it was going to be close!

Instant Save: Braiden

Going Home: Korin

Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites
And follow this blog with Bloglovin

No comments: