Monday, December 7, 2015

The Voice, Ep. 9.22 & 9.23

Top 9

Team Adam

Shelby Brown
"Even God Must Get the Blues" by Jo Dee Messina
I don't know this song, and I'm pretty bored by it for some reason. I think she's singing it beautifully, but I'm so preoccupied that I don't care to listen to it that closely. I'm not sure it's going to be enough for her to make it past the 5-person cut tomorrow night.
My Score: B+

Amy Vachal
"To Make You Feel My Love" by Bob Dylan
Sorry, I only know this as Adele's song. I've got to hand it to Amy for hanging in this long and for how much she has improved in my eyes. She went from Madi Davis bad to actually tolerable to pretty decent. She still isn't my favorite, but I applaud her for taking risks and branching out into better genres than where she started. This was a beautiful, raw performance, just like Adam wanted it to be. I still miss Blaine and Keith though, and wish they were chosen to stay over her...that will never change.
My Score: A-

Jordan Smith
"Somebody to Love" by Queen
Great song choice, I think he's going to rock it! He has not had a bad song choice yet. The choir is a nice touch, but let's face it: Jordan sings big enough to encompass an entire choir. He blasted those notes and put that choir to shame! THAT'S how to belt a song without screaming! Just pure power. Those high notes! I still don't know how he manages to amaze me every single week! He took this song to the stratosphere and to a whole 'nother level! Those ending notes that Adam told him to go crazy on? Yep, he did that and totally outdid Christena Aguilera. Like I've been saying since Jordan's audition: can we PLEASE just crown him the winner and be done with it? You can't beat this guy, you just can't. If he doesn't win, something was rigged, because he literally brought the house down. Adam was so moved that he ran onto stage and gave him a hug...took his mic and dropped it. LOL
My Score: A+++

Team Blake

Barrett Baber
"Ghost" by Ella Henderson
I am very excited to see if he can take a very popular pop song and make it into country. It does have a slightly country/bluegrass feel, so I actually don't think it will sound too much different, with the exception of his heavy country twang. This was an interesting performance. I'm not sure what to think. I can't tell if I liked it or not. Because it's a song I know and love, that definitely helps. He's doing much better with his pitch in these past couple weeks. He ended really strongly. I actually think this was one of his better performances.
My Score: A-

Zach Seabaugh
"The Climb" by Miley Cyrus
Interesting song choice, but I love it! Is this the first time we've seen him play the guitar? He is usually moving all over the stage, but for this one he is in front of the stationary microphone with his guitar. It's a nice change of pace. Doing a pop song allows us to hear just how good his voice is, when it is stripped from his forced country twang. His natural twang isn't near as severe as what he does on the overly country songs, and I have to say I like this so much better (big surprise)! This was a great performance, and his voice sounded amazing. It helps that it's a song I know, and it's not a country song. His last big notes, were incredible. Loved it! Who cares about country, this is what he should be singing!
My Score: A+

Emily Ann Roberts
"9 to 5" by Dolly Parton
I'm not a huge fan of Dolly Parton's music, but my all-time favorite song of hers is "Little Sparrow" (introduced to it by an amazing performance of it by David Cook on American Idol). I would have LOVED to hear her sing it! We've seen Emily do some fun and upbeat song like this the past couple weeks, so the tender, emotional song would have been a nice change of pace. That said, she really rocked this song (no surprise). She's just so cute and so talented - not just for her young age, but for any age! She should be on the radio right now. I love her quirky facial expressions, they just make me smile.
My Score: A

Team Gwen

Jeffery Austin
"Believe" by Cher
Hmm...this should be interesting. I actually really, really liked his version! It was very opposite to the Cher version. He always sings well, but this was really exceptional this week. Maybe it's just because he's finally doing a song I know. He sang with so much power and emotion. He always does, but there was something different this week. Wow.
My Score: A+

Braiden Sunshine
"Amazing Grace"
I think Braiden needs to decide what kind of an artist he wants to be. He's in a rock band back home, but he hasn't "rocked" the rock songs he's done. When he's done his best performances, he's done kind of the crooning style. I think this should be a really good song for him. This was just a very simple, raw performance - as it should be. As far as hymns go on this show, unfortunately, as good as this was, it doesn't hold a candle to what Jordan has done. I think vocally it is definitely one of his best performances. A couple of the high notes were a bit of a stretch, but he got there.
My Score: 

Team Pharrell

Madi Davis
"Big Girls Don't Cry" by The Four Seasons
Yuck, yuck, yuck. She is picking worse and worse songs every week. I seriously can't stand her style and her voice anymore. I am so ready for her to go. I don't know how anyone is voting for her. I seriously couldn't listen to the whole thing, it was just too painful. Just a matter of taste, because clearly she can sing...but why she wastes her talent doing junk like this is beyond me. I REALLY wish she would never, ever, throw in her little spoken words...so annoying! And she does that on like every song! It felt like this song was never going to end.
My Score: C-

Predictions

Should Be Going Home: Madi, Barrett, Amy, Shelby, Braiden
Will Be Going Home: Braiden, Shelby, Zach, Madi, Amy

Results

Safe and in the final 4: Jordan, Emily, Barrett
Middle 3 performing for the Instant Save: Jeffery, Madi, Zach
Zach - Not his best performance of a country classic, but it was nice. It's not going to be enough to save him, though.

Madi - Her best song choice on the show ("Don't Dream it's Over")! Couldn't have come at a better time! She sang it close to the original which was another bonus! However, she's not going to beat Jeffery, that's all there is to it. She had some iffy notes, but otherwise, it was her best performance in my opinion.

Jeffery - It's clear that they want him to be saved because they saved him for last. I don't think he should have any trouble beating Madi and Zach. The coaches have been saying that he could win the show since the beginning, so I would be shocked if he doesn't make it through. LOVED his song choice! You can't go wrong with Ed Sheeran's "Make It Rain". This is perfect for him! I'm so glad he finally chose a popular, fairly current song. This is sure to give him a "Jordan" moment and be more than enough to save him. Very nicely done Jeffery! Apparently he was saving all of his best stuff for his "save me" moment. That was awesome!

Instant Save: Jeffery
Going Home: Braiden, Shelby, Amy, Zach, Madi (Wow, did I call that or what?!)

Final 4: Jordan, Emily, Barrett, Jeffery

I am pretty OK with these results. I absolutely wanted Jordan, Emily, and Jeffery in the finale. My 4th spot was a little iffy. I like Braiden, but he's been inconsistent. I like Zach, but only when he does more pop than country. I like Shelby, but she is a little forgettable. I liked Barrett at the beginning, but his country twang was starting to get on my nerves; however, he did a pop song last night and it was much better. I was definitely OK with losing Madi for sure (I had my fingers crossed). Amy has grown on me, but not enough to give her a finale spot. So, all in all, the 3 I wanted made it, and I guess I'm OK with Barrett. If I had to choose a country guy, I would have probably given it to Zach because I've liked more of his performances than Barrett. And, it doesn't hurt that he's gorgeous.


Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites
And follow this blog with Bloglovin

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Still watching it. At least I know that Jeffery is safe. I can't stand Barrett Baber. I really don't think he sings all that well and he strikes me as less than genuine. Kind of a forced humility. IMHO

Lori Showalter said...

I agree. I am so over Barrett. I think he is way overrated.

Lori Showalter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Can't stand Barrett Baber too. He overacts when he sings and I believe he "countrified" himself and his style more for the sake of the votes. His voice isn't all that special and very forgettable. He is too much of an actor for my taste. He also butchered the christmas song.