Monday, December 14, 2015

The Voice, Ep. 9.24 & 9.25: Finale

The Finale! We're down to the last 4 singers and the winner will be crowned tomorrow night.

Jordan Smith (Team Adam)

"Climb Every Mountain" from Sound of Music
For the first time, he sounded a little off on the low notes at the beginning. It started out pretty slow and a little boring. But as soon as he started to swell into his upper register, where he excels, it became amazing as usual. I didn't care for the instrumental accompaniment. I actually think I would have liked it more a capella. I loved the little changes and ad-libs he added at the end. The end was so explosive and huge, just like he does every week. This guy wants to win, and he most definitely deserves it.
My Score: A-

"God Only Knows" by The Beach Boys w/ Adam
Interesting...Adam's singer 2 seasons ago, Matt McAndrew also did this song. I'm not a big fan of this song, but man Adam and Jordan sound so good in unison! This is the most subdued song we've seen Jordan do all season. It was nice, but nothing earth-shattering.
My Score: A


"Mary Did You Know"
Perfection. No more words needed. Jordan gives me goosebumps on every single performance. If he doesn't win this season tomorrow night, it will be an absolute travesty. Jeffery may be good, but you CANNOT convince me that he is better than Jordan. You just can't.
My Score: A+

Let's just re-confirm this for the millionth time: Jordan deserves to win this hands-down. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. He is in another league all his own. PLEASE do your part and vote for him! Do NOT think that he's a shoo-in and that you don't need to vote! That is EXACTLY how upsets happen! The country voting block for The Voice is strong every season. They latch on to every country singer in the competition and vote like mad. That is why Barrett is still here, and that's how he somehow beat out Jeffery last week. We do NOT want that to continue. Make your voice heard (no pun intended). Jordan has been by far the most consistent, the most compelling, and the most deserving of the win since he sang the first note of his audition. I knew he was something special from that blind audition when we all thought he was a woman, and were blown away when they showed us his face. His story has been amazing, but his voice speaks (sings) for itself. His talent is undeniable and it should be rewarded. So go vote! NBC.com,, on Facebook, The Voice App, or buy his songs on iTunes!

Emily Ann Roberts (Team Blake)


"Blue Christmas" by Elvis
This was not my favorite performance by Emily. It was a little on the boring side. It did pick up toward the end, but I didn't love it.
My Score: B

"Islands in the Stream" by Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers w/ Blake
Oh my goodness...with 2 notes into the song in rehearsals, I knew exactly what song it was going to be. Blake is 100% predictable. I'm actually wondering if he didn't do this song with another one of his young country girl singers in a previous season. Either way, this song just makes me crack up every time I hear it because I literally CANNOT get the image/sound of Jim and Michael singing this as a karaoke duet on The Office. It is tattooed on my brain forever. Back to this performance - it was really nice. Emily just has such an easy, effervescent way of singing. She blended with Blake very well.
My Score: A

"Burning House" by Cam
Whoa...is she wearing a wig! Where did all that hair come from? There is no way that is all her hair. I don't think that was necessary for this performance...it's a little distracting, and she looks too different. I don't know this song, but it's pretty. She sang it pretty well, but I heard some weird notes.
My Score: A-

Barrett Baber (Team Blake)

"Rhinestone Cowboy" by Glenn Campbell w/ Blake
I'm sorry, but I have to say it - I don't think Blake has a very good voice (and before you say it, it's NOT just because he's a country singer). I love his humor and personality as much as the next person, but when he performs, I don't think he's any better than any of the contestants, and most of them are much better. I do think that he and Barrett sounded good together. As a whole, the performance was actually pretty good. I didn't care for Barrett's high-pitched yodels...that just didn't work.
My Score: B+

"Die a Happy Man" by Thomas Rhett
I sure wish he would do more songs that I know. I didn't find this performance very interesting at all. It just didn't go anywhere. He really kind of forced it at the end and it sounded like he was going sharp. I was just kind of waiting and hoping the song would be ending soon.
My Score: B-

"Silent Night"
So, Barrett's version of "Silent Night" is a bit more jazzed up than it normally is. I don't think I cared for it. I tend to like my "Silent Night" slow and powerful and not so peppy. And boy, he hit a pretty off high note in the middle.

Jeffery Austin (Team Gwen)

"Oh Holy Night"
Oh my...oh my...oh my. There were so many flat notes at the beginning of the song that I lost count! Scratch that...it's continuing throughout the rest of the song. I've never heard Jeffery that off-key. It was pretty painful. I sure hope I'm not the only one hearing this. Yes, he's singing loud and powerful, but don't let that voice-blind you into thinking that this was in tune, because it was all over the place. And it's unfortunate because this is one of my favorite Christmas songs. His higher notes at the end were really good, so that kind of saved it...scratch that...he's coming back down and ooh, those lower notes are off. Like way off. And watch, all of the coaches will say how wonderful it was.
My Score: C-

"Stay" by Sugarland
Again, another song I don't know. This time he picked a country song I don't know. I actually did kind of like this performance, even though I didn't know the song. He was a little more in-tune than his first performance, even though I did hear a couple of off notes. They tend to happen when he's really trying to force the notes and sing really loud. He was really good at the end of the song and it ended very powerfully.
My Score: A-

"Leather and Lace" by Stevie Nicks and Don Henley w/ Gwen
I feel like I should know this song, but I don't think I've ever heard it before. I feel like Gwen did A LOT of the singing on this and Jeffery was more of her back-up singer (at least for the first half). I didn't really care for this song at all. It was really boring. Of all the coach/contestant match-ups, I would say that these two's voices did not blend all that well together. They actually kind of clashed. It wasn't that they were singing badly, it's just their tones and the way they sing just don't sound that good together.
My Score: B-

Predictions

My Rankings:
1. Jordan
2. Emily Ann
3. Jeffery
4. Barrett

I honestly don't know who America is going to pick. I'll think positively and say Jordan, but I'm very scared that one of the 2 country singers could squeak in there for the win. The coaches have been saying that Jeffery could win it all, however voters have suggested otherwise..I mean, he had to sing for his life last week, and I don't think anything he did tonight is going to push him above either Emily or Barrett.

Season 9 Final Results

4th Place: Jeffery Austin
3rd Place: Barrett Baber
Runner Up: Emily Ann Roberts
WINNER: JORDAN SMITH!!!!!

I really think that had Barrett not still been in the competition to divide the country votes, I think that Emily might have won. I think maybe he pulled in enough of the votes to detract from Emily, that may have prevented her from winning. So for that, thanks Barrett.


Don't forget to follow on Twitter for updates and live show tweets! https://twitter.com/LSRealityBites
And follow this blog with Bloglovin

No comments: