Thursday, June 28, 2012

Duets, Ep. 1.7 (Songs from the 2000s)

So, I haven't weighed in on Duets yet, so here are my thoughts on tonight's show.

John and Jennifer Nettles
I've really liked John so far this season. I thought he did OK tonight on the Josh Groban song, but I didn't think it was his best. It just seemed like it was a little too over the top. Not near as good as last week.

Olivia and Robin Thicke
Let's just tell it like it is: Olivia was HORRIBLE tonight! She was pitchy all over the place. I don't think she sang one note on the right pitch. I think every week she's actually getting worse. At the beginning of the competition I thought she was pretty good, but she should have been voted out a couple weeks ago when she was in the bottom. I'm not sure how she has survived the past couple of weeks. A big "thank you" to Kelly Clarkson for agreeing that she was pitchy. That's one of the reasons why she's my favorite of the celebrity partners: she's not afraid to say what she thinks.

Jason and Kelly Clarkson
Whoa, Kelly's blonde this week!
Jason is the opposite of Olivia, he's getting better every week. He started out the competition very nervous and unsure of himself, but he's gained more confidence each week and it's definitely making him a better singer. It helps that he and Kelly sound very good together. Their performance was my favorite of the night.

Bridget and John Legend
I think this was a good song for the duet. She has been a pretty consistent singer throughout the competition, and she didn't disappoint this week. As good and consistent as she is, I haven't been totally blown away with her. I think she's probably in the middle of the pack.

J Rome and Jennifer Nettles
Boy did he start out shaky! That is very unlike him, he's usually pretty solid. He did get better as the song went on though, and finished it nicely. Can I just say that the more I see/hear Jennifer, the more she annoys me. I hate saying that because I think she's a decent singer, and I think she's a very nice person, but there's just something about her that tends to rub me the wrong way. I especially don't really like the way she sings some of her words, I don't know, it just seems odd. I also think that she tries to outsing her partners, and sometimes you don't even hear them because she is so loud.

This week is the first week that America decides who goes home. I really can't see how Olivia will survive after this week. She was so pitiful, and everyone else had a pretty good week. I also don't really think she has much of a personality, and her stage presence is very lacking as well. She always looks terrified on stage and she never really looks like she knows what she's doing.

Here's how I would rank them tonight (I'm sure America will vote differently):
1. Jason
2. Bridget
3. J Rome
4. John
5. Olivia - going home